The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #1
PHOENIX

How to remove pilot bearing/bushing ?

I am asking about the pilot bearing/bushing for manual transmissions that is located in the center of the flywheel (where the flywheel bolts up). Before I was able to just pull it out. But the one in there now is in there pretty good.
Is there a trick to getting it out?
Do I need a special tool?
I tried to use a clothes hanger, but that didnt work.

Also has anyone replaced the stock bushing with a roller bearing?
Is is worth it and whats the point?

thanks.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:18 PM   #2
STEVE A WILBURN

Pack It With Grease, Real Full Put A Small Piece Of Wood Or Anything That Will Fit Over The Hole. Hit It With A Hammer Hard . The Grease Will Push The Pilot Bearing Out.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:23 PM   #3
PHOENIX

hahhahahahha

damn thats sounds like it just might work. Ill give that a try

any other ideas in case that doesnt work for me?
Old 05-26-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
TwinTurbo

soap works equally well as grease but doesn't make a mess and a stink like grease does. I just pack it full, get a piece of bar stock or an old inut shaft, insert it and whackit with a hammer
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:39 PM   #5
STEVE A WILBURN

I Wish I Had 5 Cent For Every One I Have Done That Way. Be Sure You Have It Full Of Grease Some Sticking Out Is Ok Just Lay The Wood On Top Smack It With With The Hammer Handle If You Cant Get In There To Hit It. Let Me Know How It Works. Greatoldman
Old 05-26-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
ChevyTech

One of the guys that worked with me would use a large pipe tap. He would screw it in cutting threads in the bushing, and when it hit the back of the hole the bushing would thread up it and come out. I never tried it, but that's the method he always used.
I prefer a slid hammer.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:11 AM   #7
PHOENIX

Well I tried the grease trick and it worked like a charm.
Packed about 8 finger tips of grease in there and used a clutch disc alignment tool and hammered it. I had to pack it again with a few more finger tips of grease. Then I hit it a few more times and it started to slowly come out, I hit it a few more times and it was about half way out. I then wiggle the clutch disc alignment tool and it came right out.

The clutch disc alignment tool I am talking about is those plastic alignment tools that look like the front shaft of the trans, they usually come in clutch kits. I cut the finger loop off the back so I could hit it with a hammer.

Now my problem is the new pilot bushing doesnt fit. The outside diameter is just a hair to big. Its a bushing that came in a cheaper clutch kit. I guess Ill see if my new clutch kit (zoom, arrives tomorrow) includes this bushing. If it doesnt Ill pick up a new one.

Are the roller pilot bearings worth the extra money?
What is the advantage of them?

TwinTurbo:
When you use soap what kind of soap do you use, just regular liquid hand soap like you would have next to your bathroom sink?

ChevyTech:
Your ideas were more along the ideas I was thinking of but had none of the tools to try them. Plus I wasnt sure if they would work without causing damage.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:16 AM   #8
TwinTurbo

inut = input ... in case you were wondering

I use a soap bar, not the liquid kind, that won't work because it will run out. Just shave the soap and cram it in the hole, compact it with the input shaft, pack it up with some more...and so on. Just like with grease.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:25 AM   #9
southernmutt33

i was told you have to pound them in...i just went throught this a couple of weeks ago...but in my case the bushing fell out on its own...well that i found out is no good....nobody carries an over sized pilot bushing or bearing...i went to places that specialized in bushing an bearing.....ended up haveing one custom made in a machine shop...38.00 total...took it home punded it in, works like a charm...

if ya cant afford to buy it, then be hillbilly enough to build it, it's cheaper to build it anyway.....

be a man, stand up to your women an tell them your the boss, an if she dont like that, then ask her if she needs help around the house...

http://public.fotki.com/southernmutt33/

84 GMC 454, 3/4 soon to be a dually with one ton suspension.
60 1/2, lwb stepside..for sale
98 taurus, ugliest body stlye ford ever built, but dependable family car.
73 vistaliner, cab over, newest toy, reason for turnin 3/4 into 1 ton
southernmutt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:34 AM   #10
STEVE A WILBURN

Phoenix Im Happy I Could Be Of Help To You, It Makes My Day,that I Helped Someone. A Little Story .i Had A 55 Chevy With A Bad Manual Tran In It. I Was On The Ground Putting A Good One In, Ihad Been Working About 2 Hours I Could Not Get That Baby To Slide In For Nothing, I Was Saying A Few Bad Words.i Got Up Off The Ground Went Into The House And Got A Big Glass Of My Wife Cold Ice Tea[ Best In The World] Got On The Ground Again Grab That Tranny, And Ram It In. It Went In So Fast, I Was Sure I Had Ram It In To The Motor. I Know It Had To Be That Tea. Ha-ha A Word From The Wise If Some Is Hard. Stop Look It Over,drink And Little Tea. And Need Be Drop Back And Punt. Greatoldguy Steve.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:58 AM   #11
TwinTurbo

What's wrong with the caps for every single word? Too much of that ice tea froze your brain ? LOL just messin'
Old 05-27-2004, 08:09 AM   #12
STEVE A WILBURN

These Key Boards Are To Test Helfire Missile At Marshall Space Flight Center And They Set Up That Way Sorry. Im At Work Now, They Are Not Like A Stock Keyboard That All I Have To Use Until I Get Home.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:12 AM   #13
TwinTurbo

Either that's pretty cool or the best excuse I've heard in a while