The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
NuBomb

Rollbars again

It is pretty difficult to find anyone to make a custom rollbar for the blazer. I waited a couple of weeks for a quote just to get "it would be more than you can imagine." I really like the rollbar on Jamie's 72, but he didn't know what it was made for. I saw that movie EdTV the other night, and they had 67-72 truck with a rollbar that looked a lot like Jamie's. My question is has anybody tried to take a truck rollbar and "adjust" it to fit. I don't own a welder, but I have friends who do. I really want to get a bikini top that Yukon helped us out with, but need a rollbar to order. I don't like the S&W cage, so are there any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Attached Images

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
michigank5

Jeremy, I think you posted a while ago that you liked that double-angled rollbar on the dark blue truck. I'm going to be building one like that very shortly, we're just waiting on materials now. It'll be slightly different in the back to accomidate the Specialty Top Fasttrac, but otherwise it should be the same. It's also going to have a front support like the SW cage as well since mounting those front supports to my rusty windshield header would be useless. If you can wait I'll post progress pics once we get started, but I'm in the same boat and want it on quickly along with the bikini top.

If you're looking for a truck rollbar though, an aftermarket shop near me said they have one they've modified to fit old blazers for $330 black or chrome. Not sure what it looks like or how big the tubing is but I can give you their number if you'd like and maybe they can send you a picture,

Jed
michigank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
NuBomb

Thanks Jed. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm after the same thing, I want a rollbar to accomodate the fasttrac and the bikini. I was just thinking there may be a truck rollbar that wouldn't require a great deal of work to fit. I'm also trying to cut down on the cost. I'd be interested to see the one you are talking about. At least to figure out what they started with. I'm really just wanting a four point rollbar since I don't plan on doing any serious wheeling.

thanks,
Jeremy

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

Most shops will do a roll bar for you if you have a set of "working drawings" or plans. I can draw up a set of plans in AutoCAD if some guys would be interested.
Nubomb- I did a four point roll bar that covered the back seat, but it wouldn't be hard to draw you up one that looks like the roll bar in the pic of the red blazer above. Let me know.
Diane

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale

Last edited by 1970blazin; 05-27-2004 at 07:31 PM.
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
michigank5

I'd be interested in that as well Diane, just incase the other bar gets a little too complicated. Jeremy, I'm going to head down to that truck shop this weekend and get some quotes on lining the inside of my 72, so I'll get some pictures of the roll bar they were thinking of adapting. I gave them the dimensions I was looking for so we'll see what they come up with. I understand the cost thing though, I sent a place a picture of what I want to build and they came up with $2500!! Luckily I found a co-worker with a bender and welder that's willing to help me out. I'll post again with the pictures from this weekend.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

I think this could easily be made to work. I've seen jamie72 s up close and it looks like the same thing to me. The rear part of the roll bar mounts together in the same place. If you look close at the pic you can see what I'm referring to. Go to www.smittybiltinc.com/ click on products, click truck bars, click ultra bars, click fit me up, click continue, choose 1972 click continue, click chevrolet-continue, I chose every model and came to the same choices, click continue a couple more times and your there. FA111-B is the model number most like the one in jamie72's blazer. Good luck.

My Build

Last edited by Big J; 05-27-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #7
NuBomb

Thanks for all the input so far. Today I was at the mechanic getting some work done on another vehicle and saw a race car with a cage. I asked and they gave me the name and number to a guy who builds the cages. My mechanic called the guy and told him what I wanted, and he said he would be interested. I'm going to take me drawings and measurements to him tomorrow and hopefully have something going. If not, I'm going to try to find one for a truck like the smittybilt mentioned above. I've got a carburator coming from a fellow board member, so hopefully I can get it all going. If this deal falls through, I do think the truck roll bar could be made to work.

North Georgia Group

Old 05-28-2004, 12:54 AM   #8
HatGuy

70Blazin,
I'm interested in plans also.

I found this part # on Smittybilt's
site last year. Part No.BL409
Description: Intreior Tube Bar; Unpainted
2 x 0.120 in. Wall Steel Tube

It's made for 72 Blazer.

Hope this helps

http://www.pbhats.com/BLAZER/index.html

Last edited by HatGuy; 05-28-2004 at 01:20 AM. Reason: more info
HatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:38 AM   #9
NuBomb

Smittybilt quit making that rollbar. I called around to many shops hoping they had one leftover, but no luck. The only way to get that bar is to find a store that happens to have one still sitting on a shelf. Oh well.

North Georgia Group

Old 05-28-2004, 10:15 PM   #10
NuBomb

Good things happened today. I went by and talked to the welder and he said he would do it. Should be able to keep cost below $400. I'll take pics when it is done. Got the carburator from 70c10 today also. Should be able to have the blazer on the road to take to welder next week.

Jed - I am still interested in seeing the pics and thanks.

Diane - Thanks for the offer. I had plans drawn up, but when I saw Jamie's roll bar I changed my mind. I called several shops with plans in hand, but they just didn't want to be bothered with it. The one shop had the plans for 2 weeks just to say it would be more than either of us would want to pay. I got lucky to find the current welder. I've seen his work on racecars, and I feel pretty good about what I'll get.

I will supply pics hopefully by the end of the week.

North Georgia Group

Old 06-02-2004, 08:58 AM   #11
michigank5

Jeremy, I went to that truck accessory place this weekend to check out the rollbars and all they had was a Smittybilt and Grizzly catalog, so no real big help there. I'll post pictures when my rollbar's done though. Good luck with yours!
Jed
Old 06-02-2004, 10:02 PM   #12
NuBomb

Thanks for trying. Ya smittybilt no longer makes the model for our blazers, and I have not seen anything from Grizzly. Can't wait to see yours. I finally got my blazer running pretty good so I'm ready for the rollbar. I am busy this week, but hope he can do it Friday or possibly tomorrow. I'll send pictures, but I'm not expecting the rollbar to be too exciting. He can only use up to 1.5"" pipe, so I'm hoping the padding I plan to use will hide the size. He is planning on attaching it to the frame. We'll see.

North Georgia Group

Old 06-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #13
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I've never seen or heard about Grizzley bars before but I found this Blazer on the Barrett-Jackson site that has a grizzly roll bar - http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti....asp?id=176052

http://www.grizzlyproducts.com/
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:15 PM   #14
NuBomb

Looks like it would be pretty tough to put the back seat in.

North Georgia Group

Old 06-04-2004, 01:15 AM   #15
Radiatta_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBomb
Looks like it would be pretty tough to put the back seat in.
And it looks like ass.
Radiatta_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #16
71jimmy

That's a rollbar for a truck, goes in the bed.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:30 PM   #17
71 Blazer CST man
Account Suspended

Check out the sweet roll bar on this river runner HEh heh! Just saw it on Ebay...looks like somebody put some time and care into it at one point in its life. Lots of 4x4 goodies.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...481056973&rd=1
71 Blazer CST man is offline   Reply With Quote