The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
67cst
i love summertime

how do i set up my fuel gauge to work with a blazer tank?

i filled up my blazer tank a couple days ago and the gauge only read half, how do i get it to read full? i think a while ago i read in a post about reseting fuel gauges...im not sure how and id like to get this working asap, when i filled it up i made a 45 minute trip on the highway, the needle dropped 1/8th of tank when i got home, since then ive driven in town maybe 20 minutes and its down another quarter, so 3/8ths of a tank total, for some reason i dont think the needle is accurate, it shouldntve of dropped that soon i dont think, whats the deal with getting this gauge to work right? any help would be great, thanks guys

Derek

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 PM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Do you know what type of sender the tank has? There are different ones, for some reason a six cylinder takes a different sender then a v8, auto or manual trannys too. I asked on here before what the difference is but no one knew.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
67cst
i love summertime

No i dont, when i got the tank it just came with one, maybe ill e mail scotts super trucks and ask them, maybe i need to buy a new one? what size is the tank behind the seat? just curious to how close it is to mine, i was hoping that the gauge would just work, oh well, just another thing to work out

Old 05-27-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
jhow66

Did it work right with the other tank?
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:06 AM   #5
SS55

I have always been told that all of these trucks used a 0-90 ohm sending unit. The differences in sending units, as explained to me, was the size of the fuel line. The I6 and the 2bbl V8 got the 5/16" line while the 4bbl V8 and the Big Blocks got the 3/8" line. And there's also the difference for a behind the seat sender and the Blazer/Suburan sending unit.

71 Blazer, ex-4WD...Bought it that way
55 GMC
55 Belair 2dr HT
67 El Camino
SS55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:13 AM   #6
67cst
i love summertime

i dont know if it originally worked, im sure it did but as soon as we got the truck home i began stripping it, i guess ill have to email the buisness i got the tank from and ask them how i go about getting it to work

Old 05-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #7
Kas68c10

I dont think all the trucks used 90 ohms, I think the burbs used 70 ohms, may need to swap the guts odf the sending units in the 2. I am pretty sure I did it, about 3 years ago though, memories kinda hazy, must had a couple of beers doing it !
1968 SWB Stepside, 250,pwr disc brake and tilt pwr steering, 5 spd tranny, HEI,Accel coil,K&N filter,Seat from a later truck with built in seatbelts, front and rear sway bars, moved gas tank to under the bed, headman hedders, new chrome bumpers,one wire alternator,Weber k550cub carburator...WORK IN PROGRESS, Freeland MI , Just bought a 72 Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!
Kas68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:08 AM   #8
jorgensensc

These are the facts as I know them:
I did a blazer tank swap on my truck and the sending unit sends the same ohms. My guage wasn't working correctly( as I'm pretty sure your's isn't either), and was broken. i bought a good used one from someone on the board and bought a new resistor (white thing on back over the two posts), filled the gas tank up and hooked the gauge up. i used a fork to remove the needle, set it to full (be sure you are not on a driveway with a slant, I had to do it again on a flat surface, Doh), then ground the fuel sending wire going to the gauge (sends the needle to past empty). Then connect it to the sending unit again and make sure it goes back to full. Do this a couple of times to make sure the gauge works correctly before putting everything back together. I did all this using long wire jumpers with alligator clips, so the gauge wasn't actually installed until I was finished. I cannot stress this enough... MAKE SURE ALL YOUR GROUNDS ARE GOOD!!!! make sure the tank is grounded to the frame, and make sure your gauges are grounded good. If you have a partial ground you will fight this all day long.
Sorry to be long winded, but I speak from experience. It took me the better part 6 months to finally get all my gauges restored and working properly. Finally they ALL work like they should. Hope this helps a little.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #9
Kas68c10

Yep, the grounding issue could be the cause allright,and I could be wrong on the resistance, I am sure I took one apart, but maybe not.
1968 SWB Stepside, 250,pwr disc brake and tilt pwr steering, 5 spd tranny, HEI,Accel coil,K&N filter,Seat from a later truck with built in seatbelts, front and rear sway bars, moved gas tank to under the bed, headman hedders, new chrome bumpers,one wire alternator,Weber k550cub carburator...WORK IN PROGRESS, Freeland MI , Just bought a 72 Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!
Kas68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:56 PM   #10
67cst
i love summertime

thanks shawn, wow i really dont want to take my dash cluster apart! but i think i might have to on a rainy day, how do i ground the gauge? and also i assume the tank should be topped right off? also for now what i want to know is when i fill the tank the needle reads half full soooo when i am almost empty will the needle be past empty? this is hard to put in words, what im trying to say is will the needle travel the same distance as if it were inthe right position?because i dont know when im empty right now...jeez i must sound like an idiot..lol

thanks

DEREK

Old 05-28-2004, 09:14 PM   #11
cableguy0

all gm sending units are 0-90 ohms check your grounds and the gauge could be bad
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:51 PM   #12
jorgensensc

trust me, you can take a gauge cluster apart in 15 min. (5 if you do it as many times as I have) it's really not hard at all. The way I grounded the cluster was I took the bottom lone post on the fuel gauge and ran a wire from it to the brake chassis part. Make sure it is a good ground first. I did the same with the circuit card. hope this halps a little.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:00 PM   #13
jhow66

gauge

Check out this site:

www.fix-a-gauge.com
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote