The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
SanitysBane

i need help!

hey, i have a number of problems with the truck and im at a dead end, so here goes.
1) my fuel gage is messed up, it only goes up to about 3/8ths of a tank, i took out a sending unit, turned it upside and left it there for 2 hours and it still only 3/8ths, im also not shure how many ohms should be in the sending unit, other than that the sending unit looks fine but i need a new sock for it. Will i need to by a whole new sending unit or can i just get a new sock? the sock looks to be welded to the tube

2) i installed an alternator off of my brothers 88 truck and used a kit to wire it into the 83. but now the gage only goes up to 12 volts, but some times it will be on 8 and ill check it at the battery and it will show 12 volts with our volt-ohm meter, and also when ever i use the turn signal the gauge pulses to the turn signal

3) my driver side door window regulator is shot, i tryed to get the window out and couldn't so now its just stuck, also i can get a new door from a junk yard for $60 and thats alot cheeper than the 100plus that lmc wants for just a regulator, so which way would be the best? also im not shure if i want to get eletric windows on it, im shaving the door handles so i don't care about locks

4) the frame is straight as far as i can tell but the passinger front sits about 1/2 lower than the driver front

5) how much work is it to put on a shackle and hanger kit on an 83 longbo

6)should i jsut say screw it and by a new project truck for under 2 grand and put my drive train in it?

thanks

p.s. i finally got that thing running again!! the 88 700R4 i had in it fried the clutches and so i rebuilt a 92 one out of a Camero but i reused the TQ out of the one that i fired the clutches(the oil looked like aluminum spray paint) so after pulling off the valve body, getting a new one on and then replacing the filter im good to go for another 100 or so miles then im chaning the filter again, hopefully that will get all the crap out of the oil
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:35 PM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

1. Best to install a whole new unit. I don't think you can get it by itself.

2. Are you running a serpentine system? The 88 I thought changed over to new belt system and won't run on the V belt. If you changed out the pulley it may be underdriving it where it's not charging it enough.

3. If the regulator is good on the other one then you might grab the whole thing. You might look up other places besides LMC like the parts board for your regulator. Guys are parting trucks all the time.

4. Springs sag after time. Could just be that.

5. Never tried.

6. Tough call. I would keep the one you have if it has better potential than the other one. You've done alot of work to the one you have and I'd keep it.

On the 700r4 you near Texas or Oklahoma and wanting to get rid of the 88?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
SanitysBane

thanks, i am running a full serpitine system, every one of the pullys is the same, but it seems to keep the truck charged for now so i just just say, forget it, just when my lights get dim im in trouble, as for the 88 700R4, its going into my dads 1970 SS Chevelle, its tootsie roll brown,
Old 05-29-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitysBane
thanks, i am running a full serpitine system, every one of the pullys is the same, but it seems to keep the truck charged for now so i just just say, forget it, just when my lights get dim im in trouble, as for the 88 700R4, its going into my dads 1970 SS Chevelle, its tootsie roll brown,
Might check the alternator at the local auto store for free. they can check it to see how well it's working.

Gotta love Tootsie Roll Brown

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 12:28 AM   #5
SanitysBane

yeah, thats the color my first truck was, a 1977 3/4 long box with a 454, t400 and a dana 60, 2wd. that truck had a ton of rust in it, good thing we donated it, scraped the stuff of it to put the big block in my truck, like the radiator, and fanshroud, wish i didn't part with that dana 60, ohwell hind sight is 20/20, as for the alternator i took it down to the parts store and it said that it was charging just fine, i going to get a new set of gaguges so ill deal with it then, also is it posible to put a surburban gas tank of a same or later year, (up to 90 i think) in an 83 truck? im trying to get the truck to hook up with out gonig to a 4 link
thanks