The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2004, 08:47 AM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

My filler neck sux...

It's bad enough having to pay these high gas prices as it is. What adds to my pain at the pump is all the gas that pours on the ground (and my paint) when filling up.

Does any one have a cure for the 73-80 filler neck issues? I would really like to be able to put gas in my 77 without worring about a Haz-Mat team being called...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:53 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Just pull the filler hose out a little bit, and watch how many liters are goin in, after a while you can hear when it will finish filling and you can slow up the flow of fuel going in. Holding the filler hose just a little bit out keeps the pump from turning off on its own.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

That sound easy enough, but it won't work for me. I have tried every combo you can imagine. I put it in really far, pull it out, turn it sideways, stand on my head. No matter what I try, it still runs down the side of the truck.

I talked to a mechanic this weekend, and he suggested a filler neck from a diesel powered truck. What year did they start putting diesels in? I guess I'll have to get my sales brochures out. I thought it was 82....
Old 05-31-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
SanitysBane

i have the same problem with my 83 with its 2 16s. i can get in 10 gallons(if im lucky) and have to milk to other 6 in. i once got 18 gallons in that tank some how...oh well. i ordered a new 20 gallon tank for the passinger side but the biggest problem is how long the fill neck is and how that is almost paralle to the ground. gas likes to flow down hill and i think it was early than that when the desiel came out
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
plumbcut
california fill

Hmm... I used to have that problem. I have put new GM filler neck & vent tubes on both tanks of my truck (and made sure they're installed right, no kinks, etc) and then the gas will flow well.. In california the vapor recovery fuel nozzles are pretty sensitive and will shut off as soon as the tank is full. What I really have a problem with is them shutting off too soon. I have seen people put the nozzle in upside down, for the ones that are the accordian style nozzles, that dont seem to latch into our filler necks.. THOSE are a real PITA. When filling up a 73-87, I try to goto gas stations that have the much simpler nozzles, the one with just a big rubber flap that sits flush against the bedside, no springs, no accordians, etc.. I seem to have the best luck with those.. They dont shutoff early, I dont have to hold them in a certain position to keep the fuel flowing, and they shutoff just in time when the tank is full.. My favorite is USA petroleum, they have these nozzles, and their gas is always the cheapest. I think that all the old fuel nozzles used to be this style and thats what worked when our trucks were designed. The new accordian style like at Mobil, etc just dont work well w/ our trucks. Have you checked the condition of the fuel tank filler neck tube & vent?

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

plumbcut your on the right track. The problem doesn't seem to be with anything being defective. It's more of a design issue. Like you said if it's one older style gas nozzle's it goes a little better because it "fits" better. If it's one of the newer style it doesn't go in well at all.

Regardless of the style it always wants to seep a bit while filling, and cut off too soon. I just need to figure out what year is the best to replace it with, or if the diesel neck is the best answer....
Old 05-31-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
1972C10
Account Suspended

On my 85 i have to hold the pump almost all the way out or i cant pump it in full blast and when it gets to the end SPLASH >
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:05 PM   #8
greenhorn male

On my 87 I have no problem whatsoever. It has dual tanks and I beleive they are original. It was purchased by the original owner in Texas. It has a 305 TBI, I don't know if there is a difference in fillers.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:28 PM   #9
85Silverado

i have the same prob except i can never get more then a little more then half a tank of gas in...thought maybe my gauge was wrong so kept a big emergency bottle of fuel in the bed and kept driving when it got to E and it ran out....so I have not a clue why i can't get a full tank....even if i trickle it in it'll still spit out the side after a bit.

'78 C20 Scottsdale
350ci
3 speed with granny gear
14 bolt rearend

My trucks are "Car-Guy safe".......which pretty much means death trap in the hands of a normal civilian.
85Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:06 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Guys I appreciate the comments. Keep in mind I am talking about 73-80 style fuel inlets. They are on the side of the bed, not under a gas door....
Old 05-31-2004, 11:28 PM   #11
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
That sound easy enough, but it won't work for me. I have tried every combo you can imagine. I put it in really far, pull it out, turn it sideways, stand on my head. No matter what I try, it still runs down the side of the truck....
sound liek you need to stop poking the ol lady in the truck bed
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:39 PM   #12
greenhorn male

[QUOTE=N2TRUX]Guys I appreciate the comments. Keep in mind I am talking about 73-80 style fuel inlets. They are on the side of the bed, not under a gas door.... [/QUOTE

Is there a difference between the filler necks between 73/80 and 81/87 besides the door? I'm just curious because this is the first time I've heard of this problem with any Chevy. I know it was a common problem with early 70's Ford trucks. They had a flat hose routed horizontally above the frame to the inside of the frame where the tank is located. Looking under my 87 the filler neck can't be more than 18" long and is round with a bit of drop towards the tank. I don't see how this design would cause any splash back. I could leave the nozzle in and let go with mine. My only problem with the design is that they are on opposite sides of the bed rather than on the same side. Filling both tanks is a pain and I need them both on long drives.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:48 PM   #13
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Quote:
Guys I appreciate the comments. Keep in mind I am talking about 73-80 style fuel inlets. They are on the side of the bed, not under a gas door....
Sorry, but you are not talking about 73-80's. I have a 79 with doors.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:55 PM   #14
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

i have the exact same problem with my 76GMC LB C1500... spillage is a pain but i just listen for when its close to the top, usually around $40 locally (is $2.029 to 2.099 here).. and there were some specific packages from 78 later thathad doors, it all depends on the package deal... but as far as i know if they have the side inlet they should have the same problem unless they changed it with the doors models
-------------------
Old 06-01-2004, 12:00 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
Ok so what year did they change? I thought it was when the front end changed.

Guys this has nothing to do with over filling the tank. What I'm talking about is while your putting gas in from start to finish....
Old 06-01-2004, 12:25 AM   #16
stan79chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervin ervin
i have a 79 and a 77 both have doors

01 S-10 ZR2 extended cab
4.3/4L60E/233
3.73 gear 31" DICK CEPEK CRUSHERS
stan79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:33 AM   #17
greenhorn male

Quote:
Ok so what year did they change? I thought it was when the front end changed.

Guys this has nothing to do with over filling the tank. What I'm talking about is while your putting gas in from start to finish....
I know what you are saying N2TRUX, I had a Ford truck years ago where the only way you could get gas in was to trickle it in or the nozzle will click off or gas would splash back even when it was near empty. This happened with both tanks and others had the same problem. But it was easy to see why it did this. It had a long flat rubber hose between the frame and bed which was horizontal. And if the rubber aged and flattened out more it got worse. I beleive your tank is outside the frame like my 87, so the filler shoud be fairly short. My filler opening is fairly low and at 5'7" I have to bend over to fill gas so I usually just lock the nozzle open and let go. It fills all the way with no splash back. Look under your truck and see if the design is the problem, ie, filler neck size, length and angle of entry. If the design looks good then there must be a problem with the tank, filler or vent. I work at a company which "had" a fleet of mid 70's Chevy and GMC's. Out of about 20 trucks in our yard alone and not a single problem like yours. We filled our trucks at least every other day.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:22 AM   #18
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

i do hate having to bend over just to hold the nozzle in on my truck. The pumps locally here in FL do not have filler locks i have to hold the handle at all times while filling. I am 6'5 and the filler is just above my knees so it is a pain bending over for $40 worth of gas
-------------------