The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
Jwill41

Can I remove this cross member

Can someone tell me if I can cut out what I think is the 6 cylinder cross member? You can barely see it in the following picture. It is right under the front of the tranny and makes it almost impossible to remove the tranny from the bottom. I think most people remove it but want to be sure.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I just took mine out a week ago. All it is for is the manual tranny, the auto tranny x member will take its place :p

Good luck getting it out, I don't have my cab on and I took a cutting torch to the rivets and it still took me a couple hours to get it out.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:46 PM   #3
mindhive

Just did mine today. If you have a compressor use a small cutoff wheel on the die grinder and cut a + or a - on the top of the top rivets and the bottom of the bottom rivets. Use an air chisel and some good hearing protection and chisel off the heads you cut. Then if you can get to the rivets that hold the bottom and top pieces together on the top or bottom of the x-member do the same to those. Then use the punch attachment to drive out the remaining parts of all the rivets. It should fall apart and come out really easy. If you cant separate the top and bottom pieces i think it will take smoe work to get out or you can torch it in half. It will take some time no matter how you do it but if you can get those pieces apart you are done when the rivets are out and you don't have to beat it out with the hammer.
Torching the rivet heads off may leave you with rivets that are now welded to the frame but I'm not very good with the torch.

Tim
mindhive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
Jwill41

Thanks everyone. I was concerned about "weakening" the frame. I will pull the tranny today and get out the torch.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote