The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2004, 12:09 AM   #1
mindhive

Brake booster swap ???

I used the search and got confused so I am going to ask. I have a 70 c-10 swb with manual drums all around. Can I take the "power booster,brackets the funny pivot thing between the brackets and the push rod" off of a 72 K-20 (parts truck) with power disc/drum and connect it to the 70 pedal and master cylinder? In my confusion I am thinking I will have power drums that may be a little touchy due to the 3/4 ton booster. Am I correct?

Tim
mindhive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
19mike69

i dont know what booster i have but it works great.I bought it off of ebay i think,got it home and didnt adjust a thing,just bolted it right on.And i have drums all the way around too.Id say it dang near stops as good as my 03 dodge
Old 06-03-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Just make sure to keep the "drum brake" master cylinder and proportioning valve. You need the residual valve to keep some pressure on the drum brakes. A "disc brake" master cylinder will always have a low pedal(on a drum brake truck) because there is no residual valve to maintain pressure.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindhive
I used the search and got confused so I am going to ask. I have a 70 c-10 swb with manual drums all around. Can I take the "power booster,brackets the funny pivot thing between the brackets and the push rod" off of a 72 K-20 (parts truck) with power disc/drum and connect it to the 70 pedal and master cylinder? In my confusion I am thinking I will have power drums that may be a little touchy due to the 3/4 ton booster. Am I correct?

Tim
I used a 3/4 ton booster on my drums and don't have any problems with "touchy" brakes. And to answer your question ...Yes you can just unbolt your m/c bolt the booster in between it and the firewall, change the connecting rod from the pedal to the booster and you will be good to go!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #5
Putter
More Cowbell....

Off hand, where would you connect the vacuum line from the master cylinder if you are running a 250 inline with a single barrel carb? I have all the parts (booster, etc... from a donor truck) but haven't had a second to bolt it on yet.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

you mean ther is room for the booster with a 250? I thought the manifold was in the way. one of the reasons I went to small block.
if it does fit, just drill & tap a hole near base of carb. make sure to have a shopvac sucking while drilling & fill flutes of tap with grease to catch metal chips.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
Putter
More Cowbell....

The way I understand it, the stock air cleaner for the non-power brake setup will not work (it is in the way...bad), but I have a relocation plan.