The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

Blazer Tank

Hey guys, I spotted a 81-91 Blazer sitting at the local wrecking yard, and I was wondering if I should get the fuel tank to replace my two saddle tanks... I only use one of my tanks anyways (the passenger side tank leaks) and my tank switch is no good, so I wouldn't see why it would be a problem... I don't have any spare tire stuff back there BTW, my grandfather pulled all that stuff a long time ago, I just toss the spare between the wheel tub and front of the bed right behind my head.

All I'd need would be the tank, sending unit, and some fuel lines right? (aka, it should bolt up with a couple of holes drilled right?)

I don't like having my fuel tanks exposed anyways. Also, how tough would it be to put my fuel door back behind where the Blazer tank filler neck would be?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Oh yeah, and what bushings would I need to change out a leaf spring pack? I've got two broken leaves on one side and a donor leaf pack that I can pull some leaves off of, I just wanna have everything before I pull it apart and have to borrow a parent's vehicle to get the stuff I need :P
Old 06-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
Grim Reaper

No you also need the last two crossmembers. The Tank is held up with straps and the last to cross members are shaped to fit the top of the tank and then hold the straps and the skid plate if you want to run it.

K5 tanks were mostly the 31 gallon in the late 80's. A R20 Brub just about always has a 40 Gallon if you want extra capacity.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:36 AM   #4
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

You need to check out my page. You don't need any brackets from the Blazer the way I did it. You only need the tank and all connected parts. You will also need fuel lines ran to meet your current fuel lines.

As for the fuel door being moved, you need some bodywork skills and a cutting wheel and a patch panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
All I'd need would be the tank, sending unit, and some fuel lines right? (aka, it should bolt up with a couple of holes drilled right?)

I don't like having my fuel tanks exposed anyways. Also, how tough would it be to put my fuel door back behind where the Blazer tank filler neck would be?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

I can weld, so that shouldnt be too much of an issue. I'll figure the filler door out later on...

I gotta question though, should I go with a Blazer tank, or a pickup tank? I do know that the suburban's frame is slightly different at the back, will that matter as far as putting the tank in is concerned? I did some very quick measurements, and it seems that if the tank it put right to the back right infront of the rear bumper, it will go forwards till it sits overtop of my 14 bolt rear end, will I have clearance issues with the tank sheild and the rear diff?

Last edited by Russell; 06-10-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote