The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
offroad84chevy

Fast Truck that can turn???

Im thinking of a c10 that can go fast and turn obosly it cant be a drag truck cause the tires will kinda be over powered. But im thinking somthing like a lightnig. Ford i know but they turn and go fast. Anyone know where i can get chassis stuff to get better handling thanks.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/438572
1982 k10 work in progress
1984 lifted chevy k10 for sale or trade
offroad84chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

? If you have enough power up front, you can steer that truck with the "loud peddle" the old longhorn will go around on a dime, & give at least a nickel's worth change back .....sortof spooky if your arent expecting it tho All jokes aside, some of the Poopstang II suspensions , with rack & pinion would probably be the ticket for a fast handling pickup..... http://www.fatmanfab.com/ crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
SCOTI

Look up Jim Meyers Racing for one of their bolt-in kits.

It includes a new crossmember, your choice of coilovers (better for handling) or air-ride (better for adjustability); fox body mustang/t-bird steering rack; caprice spindles/brakes (bigger brakes optional); urethane bushings on lower tubular control arms/spherical bearings on tubular upper control arms; new engine stands that utilize late model m.mount bushings (car style); & a 1" sway bar w/spherical links.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
crazy longhorn

WOW! That is a slick looking setup from Jim Meyers....I didnt know he had that bolt in setup. neither of those options are cheap, but pretty nice. The meyers setup looks to be a lot beefier than most of the poopstang II setups i would love to do that type suspension in the old longhorn, but the "wifey" is still not over the richmond trans swap :p crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 06-16-2004, 08:09 PM   #5
SCOTI

Yes, they do appear 'stronger' than the MII set-ups available. I like the idea behind the GM brakes as well. The one thing I don't like is the price because when I talked w/them & inquired how much lower their set-up would be vs. my dropped factory stuff they claimed 'lower'.

But, in the 'Annual 2004' edition of Classic Truck Trends magazine there is an article covering the installation of one of these 60-87 kits in a 65 chevy. On the last page of the article they measure the frame horns up front (from the ground to the bottom of the rail) & it shows 8" when airred up fully (the kit has ShockWave air-ride). I went out to measure my 68 & it's also 8" @ the same spot on the frame.

Since they would ride @ the same height, that's alot of $$ just to get a narrower track width w/better r&p steering (ok, there's more to the kit than that).

I don't know if the truck in the article used dropped spindles or not (the article doesn't mention). If not, then drop spindles would get another 2" & that would be LOW !
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
crazy longhorn

I agree, thats a lot of "beans"! my front horns are 10" off the ground, but 1 1/2" of that figure is body drop. A set of drop spindles & bags would give all I need in front drop.......but those trick parts sure look nice crazyL
Old 06-17-2004, 07:53 AM   #7
Bowtie67

I installed a Scotts IFS system in my 67 and it is extremely responsive for turning with the Thunderbird Rack & Pinion setup. There was an article last fall about Jim Myers and I originally talked with them, The price was a lot steeper than posted when everything that you needed totaled up. The nice part was the fact it just bolted in. TCI has a Custom IFS as well and there are others too that have setupes for our trucks. I highly recomend staying away from Scotts Hotrods for anything. Myself included along with a few other people are having to spend way too much time in having to deal with getting parts and correct fitting stuff. I am starting on my 7 month trying to get things resolved with them. I have even heard of guys cancelling orders and waiting well over three months to get there money back from them.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #8
SanitysBane

wat the adress for Jim Meyers Racing?
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 01:14 PM   #9
neonlarry

http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/Default.htm
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:57 PM   #10
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

i ulitmatly want my truck to handle VERY well. but i havent looked at parts yet.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #11
b454rat

I had a 90 GMC that I lowered 3" in the front and 5" or so in the rear. Stocks springs. I had 17" Centerlines on it, and it handled like it was on rails. Had some body role, but also had stock swaybar in the front, and nothing in the rear. I had a very nice 406 that was still injected, and with a tired trans with 225k and awesome, teeth-swallowing 3.08s in the rear, it would pin you back in the seat. When I first put the motor in it, I raced a 5.slo and beat him. Not off the line cause it was a roling start, and he didn't know I was behind him catching him. When I left off and looked down, the speedo was saying 35, so guessing that I was doing close to 120, and I still was pulling and still had the overdrive. Of course the OD wouldn't have done much in any good, but still had some left in the truck. I kinda regret getting rid of it now.....
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:37 PM   #12
crazy longhorn

The stock suspension is not too bad on these old trucks.....not like a sports car, but with a short sidewall on the tires they would handle like they were on rails being 40 something(dont want to say, but closer to 50 something), I like the ride that a fairly tall set of 15" rubber gives. Its he!! to get old :p to be totally honest (or observant), there are different areas in the country that dont have the freeze/ thaw....those luck b@stards dont know what "pothole express " really means. Here in Illlinios, we do have some pretty rough roads.....i need to get younger, or move west crazyL .. just a 40 something teenager at heart
Old 06-23-2004, 08:07 AM   #13
Izzy
Trucker.

My 83 with the stock bushings/balljoints and bags could take corners better than my wifes 98 with a static drop on Eibach coils and all new bushings.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:02 PM   #14
68LSS1

Fatman Stage III up front and Hotrods to Hell rear.