The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2004, 01:22 AM   #1
jostrans68
Jostrans68

Hardened seats a MUST

Well about 6 yrs ago I had a set of heads done by a reputable machine shop.
I just took this engine out of my truck its a 327 small journal and I am going with a 350. The motor ran ok when I pulled it just assumed it needed tuned it only has about 15000 miles on it. Well i planned to sell it.I decided to regasket it, glad I did I found 4 exhaust valves receased into thehead almost a 1/4 of a inch. So when I get these done again I will make them show me the heads after the hardened seats are installed. So if you dont have hardened seats get them or use the additive it didnt take alot of miles to do this....my .02 worth
Old 06-17-2004, 07:26 AM   #2
mrein3

The engine I had in my truck when I bought it had the same problem. It lived out west on leaded regular until I bought it. Between March and November of that year I sucked two exhaust valves up into the head on one side.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Last Saturday, an 81-year old lady called Click and Clack on NPR, specifically to ask a question that is related to this thread. She inherited a '73 Impala (4-dr), with a 400SB. She had used an additive, occasionally. However, the car only had 28K miles on it. They told her that she shouldn't worry about it and just drive it. They did say, though, that if she was driving it hard, i.e., on the freeway or at higher speeds, that the hardened seats would be the right way to go.

I had a 230CID head rebuilt and had the hardened seats installed. Then, I sold the truck...but not before I had it running.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay
Last Saturday, an 81-year old lady called Click and Clack on NPR, specifically to ask a question that is related to this thread. She inherited a '73 Impala (4-dr), with a 400SB. She had used an additive, occasionally. However, the car only had 28K miles on it. They told her that she shouldn't worry about it and just drive it. They did say, though, that if she was driving it hard, i.e., on the freeway or at higher speeds, that the hardened seats would be the right way to go.

I had a 230CID head rebuilt and had the hardened seats installed. Then, I sold the truck...but not before I had it running.
Ditto I ran a 040 over 327 , with a set of 492 castings(z28/Lt1). the heads were fully prepped(bronze liners, fresh valves, springs, & a 3 angle job with a little bowl work & port match). This was an intown truck, running a car 4spd trans, & 3.73 gears. no long hyway miles, or heavy towing. that little sb ran like stink on unleaded pump fuel for 30,000 miles, till i revved her a little tight & had a rod pecking. I sold the heads to a bud, & after a quick lap , & seals they were back into service on his Nova! my guess is that he has logged another 10,000 miles & the eng still sounds great! those heads were cranked next to 7000 rpms, for a few gears from time to time.....but never towed heavy loads, or ran high speed for many miles on the hyway. no fuel addative was ever used..... crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:05 AM   #5
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I just pulled a set of heads off a 383 motor w/30K. They had new valves, machined for good seals, new bronze guides and several sunk ex valves...and the motor was full of metal---lots of metal!
I have never seen this before. I thought it had hard seats and a couple of them had come loose and broke up...now I need to go look at them again. Not sure what is going on.