The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
Nova_Cobra64

Lowering Questions.....

Well, I have been wanting to drop my truck. I looked into it a bit a while back, but it seems the more I look the more that I am seeming to find involved with dropping the truck. From what I have read on here, the general opinion seems to be that you are usually able to do a 3/3 drop with just springs, and anything over 3" is usually when you have to buy an adjustable panhard bar, drop shocks or shock reloactors. Well, now I am torn on weather or not to do it. To get springs from Scotts would cost around $450 plus tax and shipping to get them here. I called a company we deal with at work and I could get a set of 4/3 Eibach drop springs for about $230 plus taxes. That is a pretty significant difference. Now my dad is trying to convince me that I am not capable of changing the front springs out. He says I would probably have to get the guys to do it in the shop at work ($140). When we priced the coils out the guy said he suggests going with the belltech kit because it comes with shocks (for almost 3 times the price). Now I really want to know what I would likely have to spend to drop my truck, because there is a huge difference in price between the best case scenario ($230 for just the springs) and the worst case scenario ($230 for springs, $140 for labour, probably another $140 for an adjustable panhard bar, as much as $200 for drop shocks or possibly around $100 for relocators, for a total between $700-$800). As far as panhard bars go, is it possible to make an adjustable one out of the one that is on the truck, or could a guy determine the proper length, cut it and weld it?

Any help would be great.
2013 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1650 - The reason no work gets done on the project truck.
Nova_Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:48 AM   #2
frogsmakr

yup....you can heat/bend the track arm. 3" aint a lot of drop, so you prolly wont need to. My black '68 is dropped 4' in the back w/o anything but springs changed. It tracks straight, shocks dont bottom out.
frogsmakr is offline   Reply With Quote