The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
73_K5_girlie

Help, I broke my truck!!!

Here's the deal... I have a 73 K5 Blazer with the original but rebuilt 350 in it. It has run great since i got it, it uses a lot of oil, but i don't ever see any under the truck so i guess it's not leaking. I check the oil everytime i put gas in the truck so it stays full. Yesterday on my way home from work from the time I started it to go home it sounded awful funny, just a little louder than normal. As i got up to speed on the main road about 45 mph, the RPM's are way high, around 4000 and it starts to get really loud. When i would let off the gas pedal it would quiet right down and slow significantly, like it was struggling to maintain 45 mph. I pulled over into a parking lot, turned the truck off, and went to check the oil again, bout a quart low, but not too bad. I went to crank it back up and it acted like it wanted to turn over but couldn't, just kinda growled, i pumped the gas a couple times and it fired up, but as soon as i took my foot off the gas it died again... I tried to crank it again and it madew a squeeling noise very loud as it tried to crank so i shut it back down. I walked down to the gas station got a quart of oil and put it in, by that time the man that works in the apartment complex i had pulled over into had gotten the truck to start... but it was knocking... bad. I limped it the mile and a half home really slow and it knocked the whole way. I have a friend coming over tomorrow to look at it, but i was just wondering if from what i've told you if you guys have any idea what could have happened. Thanks guys

73 K5 Blazer
00 Alero
95 Firebird
92 Astro
73_K5_girlie is offline   Reply With Quote