The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2004, 08:53 PM   #1
72bigblock4wd

2" DJM lowering shackle for '67 C15 GMC???

Has anyone used a DJM or other brand 2" lowering shackle on their leaf spring rear C10? I want to lower mine 3"/2" for now and then possibly do a flip kit in the rear with spindles in the front eventually for a 5/5. My truck is a stepside with wood floor. Will I need to grind out any of the wood under the bed or should it clear without doing that? I've never used these before so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!
72bigblock4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
72MARIO

I have a 72 Short FLEET. I used a 2" drop shackle and it hit the wood floor. So I made it work and have the springs dearched 3".You are best to get the springs DeArched JUst go to any big truck spring shop it's cheep and easy.

Mario
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I used Early Classic Enterprises stuff on my '69 (2.5 front drop/4.0 rear drop). I used DJM stuff on my son's '96 SWB Sportside. The drop in front was 2.0 with spindles. The rear was a 4.0 drop with shackles. The only problem in the rear is that a couple of braces on each side, behind the wheel, can be contacted when you hit a speed bump or other suspension-bottoming event. You can trim the end, or flatten it, to solve the problem if you don't want to hear it bang.

My son had 15x8's all the way around on his truck when we dropped it. The backspacing on the stock wheels won't work, nor did it work with the 15x8 American Racing wheels he had on it. I bought a pair of 15x7's, that had 3.5" of back space and those cleared the lower tie rod end (which had made contact with the inner face of the wheel when turning).

He drove it to California without any problems, and continues to have no suspension problems.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:46 PM   #4
72bigblock4wd

Thank you both for your input. I solved the rear drop problem I think. The PO had apparently "uninstalled" three of the leaves in the spring on the passenger side. The leaf springs originally had 9 leaves in them, so I just removed the bottom four from one side and one mismatched leaf from the passenger side and voila, It dropped the rear end of the truck about 2-1/2" to 3". Since I only plan on hauling a** with this truck, I'm not worried about the softer spring rate. Now I just have to figure out the front. I've never lowered a truck before, and I'm wondering if I use 3" DJM drop coil springs in the front is it going to screw up my steering geometry and require re-shimming the upper A-arm? My truck's a long step for now, I plan on tearing it apart and making a short bed out of it once I find a good short fleetside bed for it. Thanks for any additional advice you may have regarding the drop coils for the front!
72bigblock4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I know that springs are cheaper and a lot of people have used 'em to lower their trucks. I used spindles and retained the original geometry. All alignment specs on my truck are spot-on factory settings. I don't know how possible that is with shorter springs. But, I know there's a bunch of 'em out there on the roads with short springs. So, it's doable and roadable.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
loblazer

2: DJM lowering

Hi folks:

I have a 2wd 80 Blazer that I dropped with 3" DJM spindles and 2" coils with help from my buddy. Rides great, tracks fine. My auto shop set it up, no geometry problems.

Doug
loblazer is offline   Reply With Quote