The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

Old-School SBC Intake/oil filler question

Hey guys, I have bought some really nice billit aluminum valve covers. Nice, polished, completely smooth, no holes. I am going with a flame design on the truck and will also bring the design into the engine bay, over the inner fenders and also on the valve covers and matching billit smooth 15" oval air cleaner. My question is this, I don't want to drill any holes in ther valve covers to run them. I know you need proper crankcase ventilation, (not to mention somewhere to get the oil into the engine) so I want to go with the old style oil filler neck in the front of the intake. What all is required for this? Just the intake itself? Was this all the old small blocks had for crankcase ventilation? Any help would be great...... Thanks, .....Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

No, the old 283's & 327's had a provision for the pcv valve back of the block next to the distributor....before that , it was a road draft tube. The later blocks do not have the provision, as the pcv pops into the valve cover. crazyL actually, the pcv was inline with the carb, but the hose ran to the rear of the block....2 brl carbs had the right into the back of the carb...
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 06-22-2004 at 10:43 PM.
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The early engines that used the filler tube had a different block. There was a thing called a road draft tube in the back of the block, behind the intake. It extended down under the vehicle and used air passing over it to extract the crankcase gasses.

It's easy enough to drop the filler tube type of intake on your engine. The problem is, the engine will tend to get oil leaks and blowby drizzle out of any areas it can. You really need a PCV valve for a long happy lived engine.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
Shane65

Here's what I did for my brother's El Camino with the nice cast GM valve covers. Drilled and tapped a 3/4" npt hole in the intake behind the carb and in an area that goes directly into the lifter gallery and put an aluminum plug in it.. With the air cleaner on you have to really be at the right angle to even see it. You need a pcv on one valve cover and a breather on the other. I drilled the rear of the valve covers for these items. They should have a baffle on the inside to keep oil splashing on them. The breather fits into a 90 degree fitting. Again they are hardly noticeable. This will only work if you have enough room at the rear of the valve cover.
Shane65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

Hope this link works, we discussed this awhile back.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=filler+tube

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11

Last edited by BtnkBndt; 06-22-2004 at 11:02 PM. Reason: forgot
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote