The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
67gmcss

fuel cell--HELP!!

Put a summit 16 gal. fuel cell in the 67 short step. Putting the wood bed in it this afternoon and hit a snag. The filler cap on the cell hits dead in the middle of the center metal strip 18 inches from the tailgate. How did you guys fix this problem? Cut the strip in the middle and hope it stays on? Cut a place out in the wood without looking like crap? I don't have a side marker to work with and don't want a big filler neck stuck up in the bed. Sadly enough, it's too late to really fabricate anything into the bedside as the body man has the bed ready for paint as it is. Any ideas and definitely any pics greatly appreciated.
67gmcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have that same cell in my longhorn.....it fit tween the crosssills(stroke of luck). I do get some different looks when laying acroos the tail gate to gas her up tho! i have a custom steel floor in my old truck, so can only "speculate"......if you can move the box runners(redrill the frame), maybe add 1 more on the opposite side to stiffen the floor, then use a 1/8,0r 3/16 steel plate under the cutout spot to reinforce the floor you may have it "on the run". Personally, I wouldnt worry about a nice round hole in the wood floor to load er with fuel. You could probably come up with something slick (stainless or aluminum to dress the top side). Best of luck, just let your imagination work.....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
67gmcss

thanks longhorn....anybody else?....I know someone had some posted forever ago of something like where a piece of the wood had been cut and hinged to open, but I can't find anything under any search that I tried. Thanks again for any help.
67gmcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

Jegs sells a real nice filler neck extension piece for your tank ( I think a company called Jaz makes it). They come in two different lengths. Get the short straight one. You can use a hole saw to cut the hole in the bed wood. I have done this before. The filler neck and cap are almost level with the bed floor. As far as the center brace. I cut it in half then cut it down (subtracting the OD of the 4" pipe) so a piece of 4" steel pipe in the middle of it so the filler neck passes through it. then weld it back together. Just make sure you cut the crossmember it so it is the same overall length as when you started. Cut the piece of four inch pipe the same height as the rail. I have used this method several times and it works great.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:41 AM   #5
2low72

Could someone post some pics on the fuel cells. i'm thinking of scrapping the mazda gas tank the PO installed under the bed. thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 02:22 AM   #6
chevy69er

I remember while watching "trucks!" on tv that stacey had installed this really slick piece for filling his tank under the bed.The wood of the bed over the filler was on a hinge and would flip up.I went to his site www.staceydavid.com and i didnt see anything about it on there.Maybe you can look and have better luck or better yet email him and find out.Good luck with the install..im sure it will come out clean.
1969 C-20,383 stroker,sm465,custom long travel front suspension,4 wheel disc brakes,35" pro comps...mods under way include: 4x4 conversion,and custom bumpers.future mods include: gear vendors od unit,and relocation of fuel cell.
chevy69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
67 cst swb

what about...

can you weld a square into the cross piece to go around the cap opening? that way it would keep its strength/support, but still leave you access.

======[o]======
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 06-24-2004 at 06:28 AM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
jay-dawg
chevelito

there was an article in a magazine where they had trimmed the strip and put in a round metal piece. I think it had a cover too. I'll see if I can find it.

Jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote