The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2004, 06:33 PM   #1
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

windshield removal/install

anybody got any tips on removing and installing a windshield? i've never sucessfully done this, i always end up breaking them.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:51 PM   #2
TwinTurbo

get some of that cutting wire, it's not jsut ordinary steel wire. Use a small needle to puncture through the adhesive and then guide the wire through it. Work carefully and never pull or push on the windshield, especially when nearly done. If it's only held in a small area you will crack it very easily. Suction cup handles are really handy but not necessarily needed.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

The front windshields on our trucks are not "pull thru's"...where you can use a rope or wire to install them. The rear is, but not the front.

Removal is easy, just cut the gasket with a utility knife. Install is easy too, IF you have the tools.

I paid a local glass man to install mine...well worth the $50.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

the hardest part is getting the lock strip back in. Getting the windshield out is no problem, pull out the lockstrip and gently get one corner out from the gasket, The rest will just flip over around the glass. If your windshield has ever had sealer put around it in the past, it will need it again. To put it in, set the bottom in the channel, and pull the outer lip around the glass. Start the lock strip at the bottom in the center, and work it around. Make sure it is well lubricated, I usually use an aerosol glass cleaner (like the GM non ammoniated glass cleaner or equivalent) and work the strip in. The lock strip tool will usually liik like a screwdriver with two triangle frames on the end. The lock strip should be the width of the bottom of the frame. If you have the chrome lock strip that has most likely deteriorated by now, it is a good idea to get a new one, because it needs to be decently pliable to go back in. I usually replace it with a black one anyhow. A glass shop should have it in a roll. FWIW, there are quite a few glass shops locally that advertise new windshields for $99 installed.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #5
raceman6135
Dino burner

I'd agree with Jonboy's last sentence. There are so many thousands of our generation of trucks on the road, even here in Canada, I can get a brand new windshield installed for $150 CDN (about $110 USD).

For me, I'd rather drop my truck off on the way to work, pick it up on the way home with the new windshield installed, and keep my hands clean!

Also, the shop will warranty the windshield against leakage

DJS
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
Grim Reaper

I helped the guy put the windsheild in my 75. He had a bum leg and was having to work on a step ladder since the truck is 7ft tall. He reused the 1975 weather strip no problem. Pull the lock strip on the outside. Run a puddy knife under the rubber on both sides to free it up. Some soapy watter helps. Push it for the top evenly till it pops out of the seal.

Installation is the oposite. Rubber on the truck and drop the glass into the rubber. The lock stip is the trick. There is an actuall tool for installing that strip. It has a hole the strip goes through and wings on the edge that fold the rubber up to get the strip in. PLENTY of soapy water.

No deductable Comprehensive is the best thing for wind shieilds. Just call and tell them it's broke! LOL. Need to get the one in the Burb replaced.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:24 AM   #7
Destructo

My windshield is leaking at the driver side bottom corner and it has a few chips in it, so I was thinking of just replacing the whole thing anyway, but I was going to pay someone to do it.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
81c10

Re: windshield removal/install

So is it safe to say that having a sliding rear glass replaced with a solid sheet would only be about $150ish depending on what's in my area?

lml
Posted via Mobile Device
81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote