The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2004, 02:32 AM   #1
2low72

Opinions please??

I'll be going over sea's in the near future and was wondering what things I should do to the truck since it will be sitting for a couple of months..I'm going to unhook the battery so it doesn't drain, but other then that I have no clue and hope i'm not missing something. I'm thinking about putting it on jackstands to save the tires(with tires barely off the ground).Any other ideas??? Thanks ahead of time.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:44 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

If it's not going to be in a garage I would invest in a good quality cover for it.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

When we store our cars/trucks for the winter, we warm them up and pour engine oil into the carburetor. The engines are run at a fast idle as we pour the oil in. A pint is used and once smoke starts we pour enough oil in to kill the engine. The idea is to coat the insides of the combustion chamber and exhaust system.

Put a dish of soap shavings in the car. Irish Spring seems to keep the mice out and it smells good. Keeping the tires off the ground is good and I would lower the pressure to around 20 psi.

Fuel stabilizer would be a good idea also, if it is going to be over a year.

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Are you at Dyess AFB? That's the only military installation that I recall in the Abilene area.

My son is at Travis. He went to UAE/Saudi, last year. He was gone for 120 days, and his truck sat until the last couple of weeks before he came back. Other than a load of bird excrement (aka $h!t), it was okay. The decorations didn't get there until his buddy drove it the last 2 weeks and parked it under a tree when he wasn't driving it.

Yeah, disconnect the battery, for sure. And, adding Sta-Bil to the gas is a very good thing to do. Taking the weight off of the tires is good. Exposure to the sun can deteriorate the rubber in your tires, so some folks cover the tires....like the RV'ers do. A cover on the vehicle should help protect the paint and the interior. I understood the take on putting the oil in the intake but I think you can also just pull the plugs and shoot WD-40, or LPS-2 into the spark plug holes. I'd cover the carburetor to prevent dirt daubers from building nests. You gotta remember that wasps will also build nests in the crooks and crannies of your vehicle, so when you return, you'll need a can of spray to kill 'em. If I understood my son, he parked his truck near the squadron area near the flight line. That way, it will be "watched over" by the other crew members. You may want to verify that putting it on blocks/stands won't give the Security Police reason to have it towed. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as your registration is up to date.

Good luck on your deployment.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
walker

Best thing to do is park it someplace warm and dry, like the side of my house. You also need to have it drive regularly,keep the moving parts clean. Oddly enough I am free for that as well. Also, when you drop it off here I can hold your title too, for safe keeping of course. Just sign the back of the title, so I remember who it belonged to.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
2low72

Thanks for the ideas...
ChevLoRay--yeah I'm stationed at dyess and the truck will be at the house(or apartment complex) so i shouldn't have to worry about the security police And i don't think i should have to worry about the paint since it's already covered in surface rust(see pic).
walker--
where is a good place to get a cover, not for the rusty primer but more the interior is what i want to save from the sun.
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
thisolechevy

LMC truck cariies very NICE covers for our model of trucks
Old 06-28-2004, 06:09 PM   #8
franko72
Franko72

park your tires on some wooden boards to keep them from dry rotting. invest in a good car cover. give it a good lube and coat moving parts any Hinges,tailgate mechanisms,hood latch,carb. linkage,etc.before you go.stay safe , your truck needs you as much as you need it.

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote