The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
SCOTI

Clutch return spring ???

While leaving for work recently I thought the clutch in my 68 died. It worked fine (for being worn) as I left the house & again @ an incline I must take to access the main road leading out of my subdivision. After that incline it went to 2nd ok but didn't feel right for 3rd.

As I approached the next intersection I knew something was definitely wrong. I assumed the clutch was gone but I also noticed it felt like there was no spring tension on the peadal.

When I got under there tonight to inspect everything, sure enough.... there's no return spring. Where exactly does it attach on these trucks so I know I'm putting one back in the right place? Also, does anyone local (DFW) have an extra or a source to find one?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

i think its under the dash, hooked to the pedal. i might have one in the shop

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

There should also be one on the clutch fork to the d side frame rail(hook in on of the holes on the frame). that one keeps the bottom rod from the Z bar to the fork in place. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy longhorn
There should also be one on the clutch fork to the d side frame rail(hook in on of the holes on the frame). that one keeps the bottom rod from the Z bar to the fork in place. crazyL
That's the one missing. I can guess where it was on the frame from the small 'wear' notch it created on one side of the hole in the frame.

I know the clutch is on it's way out from all the 3rd gear take-offs prior to swapping out the old bad tranny. But can the return spring make that much difference in the feel of the pedal? I'm going to look through my 67/8 parts in the shed & see if I can find an extra.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-28-2004, 10:44 PM   #5
69 Short Fleet

Yes it will make a difference on the feel of your pedal, I just insalled one (clutch fork to frame) a couple of weeks ago. All I did was use a universal spring (the package came with 2) one end is already bent (sort of like a fish hook) and the other end is straight (so you can bend it to whatever lenght you need) Most auto part stores carry them and it was like $5.00, Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:55 PM   #6
SCOTI

It was too dark to find one in the shed. I'll try the parts store tomorrow & see what's available. Hhmm, autozone, oreillys, or pepboys? I doubt it. NAPA should have something.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-28-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
thisolechevy

Yeah Napa should have it and maybe even advanced auto parts. I just recently lost the clip in my clutch that connected the z-rod and fork together (yeah that was fun trying to stop going 65 mph and havinbg to just shift down a couple gears!!!!) any ways I had also lost that spring adn it took me a couple days to get one and until I did the clutch felt TERRRIBLE like it was about to give out.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:51 AM   #8
SCOTI

Ok, it's good to know others observations were similar to mine when they experienced this. Although my clutch isn't new, I was suprised @ how bad it felt w/o that clutch fork return spring.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG