The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
bhobbs

Must do items on an original '68 Custom?

Much to my pleasure, and likely future economic downfall, I inherited a '68 GMC Custom LWB several years ago. It's light green with a white roof, 327, auto tranny, and has factory air, and all gauges except vacuum and tach. Not sure which auto tranny or rear end it has(how do you tell?) Almost everything is original as far as I can tell.

I'm more of a motorcycle mechanic than anything else, and mostly European and Japanese at that, so all of this old American Iron stuff is new to me. It ran(poorly) until 2 years ago when it burned out the wiring, which was mostly cracked and brittle anyhow.

I've tossed the rusted out exhaust in favor of a hooker dual exhaust, and put in a new radiator, water pump and single-wire alternator. I've already put in the new coil and plug wires, and just enough of my new wiring harness to get it started. It doesn't run well or long yet(it hesitates hard when you hit the gas), and won't idle. I've got a new Holley street avenger carb and intake manifold, as well as a mallory distributor waiting in the wings for installation. I'm currently pondering why my alternator doesn't mount like I think it should, but that's in another post. The brakes have new lines and actuators in the rear, and the fronts are looking like they could use some new parts. I'd like to go for a disc setup with a small drop in the near future though, so I'm loath to spend money on the front brakes just yet.

My eventual goal is to get this into a decent enough shape to use it to be a decent work truck, and to haul my motorcycles to and from CMRA races, etc. It's also a toy, since I have other vehicles that are new.

Known problems:
The transmission leaks a lot of fluid. It SEEMS like its coming from the linkage that goes up to the column, but its so widespread on the bottom of the truck, that it's hard to tell.

Engine is in somewhat questionable condition. It seems to leak oil out of every crevice, but it's pretty filthy from 30+ years of being a work truck in north Texas, so it's hard to tell.

I need to get it running again so I can get it out of my garage and back in the driveway. It's currently displacing my daily driver that I'd prefer to keep inside. I keep the truck under a nice waterproof cover outside, though, so it's not a complete loss I'll clean it when I get it to a mobile state again.

Of course, the AC doesn't even remotely work Fan blows though, too bad the tubes going to the vents are rotted out.

If anybody has suggestions on these topics, or any other "must check/fix/do" items for a truck like mine, please let me know.

Barry
bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

You seem to have a good idea of what needs doing. Odds are your tranny is a th350. Here is a thread on the alt. brackets.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=109949

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
bhobbs

Heh, actually, that's my thread too I just asked a specific question first, and then went off on my longer thread of more general problems.

Barry
bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:30 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

Duh, I guess I should pay better attention.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote