The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
beaterC10

Installing four speed tilt column

The Fedex man dropped off my Ebay four speed tilt column this afternoon. It apparently was not out of a truck, it is 2" shorter from the column mount to the end of the column. It's in good shape and the price was right, so o thought I would take a shot at using it.

Some quick measuring leads me to believe that if I lengthen the shaft that couples the column to the steering box, I'll be in business. The rest of the column is the same as the 83 truck column shift tilt I have.

Looking at the coupling shaft it looks like I could disassemble the shaft and replace the DD shaft with a longer one and get the 2" back that I am missing from the column.

Has anybody modified steering shafts? Is there something I'm missing? Before someone screams at me, let me say I don't intend to do anything
half a--. Since the street rod guys do it on a regular basis with GM parts, I figure it must be possible.

Dave
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
dswancutt

Installing four speed tilt column

Dave;

I read you post and checked my 79-84 parts illustration manual and if I am reading it right, the only thing that is different from a manual to an automatic is the outer tube. The actual tilt mechanism is the same for both. Do you want me to scan the parts breakout and email it to you?

Doug
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
beaterC10

That would be great. You can send it to me at dtreasoner@aol.com. If the columns are really that similar, maybe I could build one truck 4 speed column from both of them.

Thanks,

Dave
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote