The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2004, 11:55 PM   #1
My72Cheyenne
"Work in Progress"

Vent window rubber replacement

Hi guys,
Has anyone ever replaced the rubber in the vent window on a 72' P/U? I have the new rubber, but it looks like the old was riveted in??? Any tips or tricks?
Thanks,
Tom
Bend, OR
My72Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:31 AM   #2
MACKL
Almost done!

Tom,
I replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. For me the hardest part was removing and installing the vent into the door itself. The rivits did not give me much trouble. I ordered the rivit kit also. It came with a rivit install tool and all of the rivits (with a few extra incase they go flying). The vent does not use pop rivits, it uses a "buck rivit". You have to support the head of the rivit on an anvil or vise then using the tool, you flatten the tail end down. A couple of the rivits are hard to get to because of the location, I think I had to use a long punch instead of the rivit tool. The area that concerned me the most was removing the nut off of the piviot post. I was very careful to not break off the post. It had a ton of rust on it. There is also a nut lock tab that you will have to pry away from the nut before the nut will back off. Take your time, use a good penitrating oil on the rust and you will not have any trouble. It sure looks sweet when you get all the gaskets changed. Good luck...Kelly

The 1970 SWB Project

Removed 6cyl manual trans, manual everything
V8-350
Auto/PS/PDB
Blazer Fuel Tank
Behind the Marker Light Fuel Fill
MACKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
Huck

I ordered tow sets of rubber from LMC with the rivit tool kit two years ago. The straight piece is already cradking from dry rot and crappy rubber before I even got around to installing it. Nothing like restoration rubber---it's all crap!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
MOTHERTRUCKERS

LMC rubber is made in India not AMERICA ask before you buy.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
My72Cheyenne
"Work in Progress"

Thanks

Thanks guys for the info. I wasn't informed enough to order the rivet kit when I ordered the rubber. Unfortunately I think my rubber came from LMC, which sounds like it's not worth the packaging it's shipped in. My factory rubber is not bad at all, I was just going to replace it while I had the vent assembly our of the truck, but maybe I'll just keep the OEM until It falls appart.
Thanks again,
Tom
Bend, OR
My72Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote