The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

air conditioning

i was just reading the post on freeze 12 and it got me to thinking about the air conditioning in my 72 burb, front and rear. i have no idea how air con works or what i would have to do to get it working. its all there and not torn apart but it sure doesnt blow anything cold out of it. is there a post somewhere that talks about the steps i need to take to get it working? all i know is you cant use freon anymore.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
walker

R-12 is perfectly legal to buy and use! It is no longer legal to manufacture it in the USA. You need a special license to buy it. Look on e-bay and you will find people selling r-12 and showing you how to get a license online. You will probably want to replace your rubber hoses(cost about $100 for all of them, and new orings come with them) and also your reciever/dryer. Then using an evacuation pump evacuate the system and recharge with r-12, or one of the replacements. I have heard that the compressors ( original A-6 style) don't last that long with the new r-134a due to higher head pressures. You may also consider using an a/c system flush before you reassemble all your stuff. Also, pick up a factory service manual, it cover all aspects of the a/c system in detail (exhaustive detail), $29= cheeeap, gettcha one, use it.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
smitty62

Any local A/C repair garage can give you a more precise answer than on here since we don't know the condition of your hoses, compressor, etc. Also, are the A/C controls, (vacuum motors) working?
Personally, I'd never do it without changing hoses, dryer, compressor, expansion tube and possibly the evaporator. Expensive, ($500?) but if you have to correct later, it would cost even more. Some will tell you that you can get by with just flushing and recharging with R-134-- in my estimation.

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:45 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

thanks guys...sounds like i should just take it into a shop...cause i have no idea what all those things are your talking about...lol
CG is offline   Reply With Quote