The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
nboost

Back of hood to cowl alignment

I have a problem with my hood. The back of the hood sits a little higher than the cowl. I have tried to adjust it every way but with no luck. I am wondering if the hinge springs are getting week. Would that cause this problem. Thanks. Oh by the way it is a 67 Chevrolet C-10
nboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Welcome to the board from West Michigan!

Usually the hood can be adjusted downward in the rear if you have a helper pick the front of the hood up, with the hinge to fender bolts loosened so that the hinges are rotated toward the rear. There are slots in the hinges that allow this. Once the hinges are rotated, retighten the bolts.

This will cause the hood to go down in back. If the hood is real close to the cowl, I would suggest moving the hood forward on the hinges before the described adjustment. Adjusting the back of the hood will cause the hood to go rearward, so make sure you have clearance before starting.

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
67cst
i love summertime

jim had a good idea, allthough your springs might be warn out like mine are on my 67 c10, i did exactly what jim described and one side fits nice but the other side is up a bit, so when i close my hood i just walk over to the passenger side and push down on the corner of the hood and the spring sucks it down, for now it works but in the future id like a new set of hinges

GLOVE BOX LIGHTS FORSALE, click link for info

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=273724
67cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Huck

First off, lube every pivot point on each hinge which is like 6-7 points. Make sure your hood opens and closes very easy. Then do the hood hinge adjustment of loosening the hinge to fender bolts--3 on each side. Then do the deal with a buddy overextending the upward push on the hood which forces the hinges to pivot backward. Then tighten the hinges but close the hood slowely watching the rear edge so that it doesn't bind up against the cowl. You can get the hood to close with the back down but may require some careful adjustment to get it just right.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:30 PM   #5
nboost

WOW this board moves pretty fast. Thanks for the welcome. With my new project I am sure I will have alot of questions. I will try all suggestions. Thanks
nboost is offline   Reply With Quote