The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
PredatorVI

Brake system upgrade kits for '79 GMC dually...

Hey all,

I posted this in the messae board by mistake. I am reposting it here.

My dad has a 1979 GMC Sierra 3500 1 ton dually. He wants to tow a fairly heavy load with it (a completely different discussion) and I don't think that it's brake system is up to par considering it's condition. He is old and stubborn and will try it regardless, but I am trying to get him to redo the brake system w/ new parts and to even consider upgrading the system to bigger, better components that have higher capacities, including larger drums/rotors, higher capacity master cylinder, etc.

Does anyone know of a place that makes a kit to upgrade the braking components for this year/model truck? I have found some online, but they are only for the 1/2 ton trucks.

Thanks for any information.
PredatorVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #2
GMC1tondually4dr

Try www.rockauto.com they have everything you need. CarQuest also has or can get stuff for a 1ton Dually.

Use the National type brands of brake stuff, (Raybestoes, Wagner, ACDelco).
Your Dually has excellent brakes for towing large loads, just don't overload the thing.

I tow a 15,000# trailer Gooseneck with my 9,000# GVW Crew Cab Dually with NO problems at all.(just down on power, 200K miles on the original 454, she's tired.)
The trailer has 3 axles and all wheels have brakes too. Make sure that your trailer has working brakes.

When running with correctly adjusted brakes on the truck and trailer, you can put an unaware passenger thru the windshield if you want.

CCdually
GMC1tondually4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:13 PM   #3
PredatorVI

Thanks for the info. I would put money down that your truck is in MUCH better shape than his. Based on a quick glance, there is a lot of stuff on the rockauto web site. Since I don't know what size/type of brakes are on that thing, can you tell me if the parts at RockAuto.com are just new replacement parts or are there upgraded versions (better calipers/cylinders, improved master cylinders, etc.)?

Thanks again!

If anyone cares, here is some history.

This truck has had about 4 engines in it, installed by the local High School shop mechanics as school projects (my Dad was principal). There are so many cut, unused wires it isn't even funny (under the dash is insane). The clutch is a nightmare. It, along with the rest of the truck squeaks and vibrates. It came with a 350 engine originally, but it now has a 454, that has always leaked and burned oil since installed. The gearing is very low such that at WOT, it only runs between 50 and 55 MPH. He did put in a Gear Vendors overdrive unit last year, but he hasn't used it to really tow yet, only to help normal driving mileage.

His truck will be used to pull a boat. The previous boat was the one I bought off of him that weighs in at about 11,000 lbs. Just after I bought it off him, he let me use the truck until I got my own truck (this was about 6 years ago). I had a lady pull out in front of me once and when I hit the brakes (can you say "white knuckle"?), the pedal went to the floor and nothing happened. Luckily she sped up fast enough. During normal braking it seems to work okay. The fluid was full. The electric brake controller is an old version that taps into the brake line to give trailer braking based on driver input. It didn't work in that situation either. I'm assuming a fluid, booster and/or master cylinder problem.

The newer boat he wants to buy easily starts out at 17,000 lbs wet but without gear (ropes, tools, food, coolers, etc.). He hasn't yet purchased the boat (we are taking a trip tomorrow to look at it), and so far, attempts to get him to get a bigger tow vehicle have been unsuccessful. So now, I am trying to get him to address all the issues to make it as functionally sound and safe as possible. He is a bit stubborn and frugal (tight? ) and believes his truck can pull anything with wheels. The pulling part doesn't worry me as much as the stopping part.

I don't think he has had anything done to the brake system since he has owned it (20+ years) except normal shoe/pad wear issues. I think he should make it bullet proof for that size of load. New components would go a long way in my opinion.

I also think he needs a beefier hitch like the Reese Titan Class V hitch receiver w/ weight distributing trunnion ball hitch system and a newer electric brake controller that is independent of truck hydraulics (I like the Jordan Brake).

I am also trying to get him to address the suspension. The front is sagging and the entire truck generally feels "squishy" and soft. Not what a 1-ton should feel like in my opinion, but maybe I'm wrong on that one. With the bigger engine than factory and the large WARN winch and bumper on it sticking out the front, I think it needs a little help. In the words of CCDually, "she's tired".

I'm just glad I don't have to ride with him anymore in that thing. By the time the trip is over, I have lost my hearing and my mind .
PredatorVI is offline   Reply With Quote