The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Question Gas door on bed side in front of tire?

Has anyone installed a gas door from a later model truck on the bed side between the rear tire and the front of the bed with the gas tank mounted between the frame rails in the rear? I'm not trying to make a show truck so I am looking more for convenience like the late model trucks.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:55 AM   #2
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

drive shaft gets in the was of putting it in the frame below the bed but i was gonna do away with the floor anyway.
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #3
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Opps I read it again, be a lot of plumbing to run it back, but I put a Koenig bed off a ford on a chevy and it had a good run as long as you can keep it going down hill it will flow
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
FuelCellGuy
FUEL CELL GURU

mocwon,

I am working on your tank today (7/17). Do I need to move the filler to a new location on thre tank?? I haven't cut any holes in the tank for the filler. I will wait until I hear from you. Later, FCG
FuelCellGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelCellGuy
mocwon,

I am working on your tank today (7/17). Do I need to move the filler to a new location on thre tank?? I haven't cut any holes in the tank for the filler. I will wait until I hear from you. Later, FCG
Thanks. I would like to put the fuel door between the rear tire and the front of the bed on the driver's sid like is done on late model trucks. My body shop guy tells me he thinks it can be done. What do you think? Have you ever seen that done?
Thanks, Greg
Old 07-17-2004, 08:36 PM   #6
GMC Jim

I had the bedside doors filled when I had the truck painted.....removed both saddle tanks; cut off and filled the side pipe and moved the fill pipe to center front of tank... Welded into position at about a 45 degree angle... The fill pipes are in the wheel well ahead of the rear tires. And yes... I did clean the tanks thoroughly plus filling with water before any cutting or welding !!!.. I never did like the looks of the side doors.....