The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #1
willow72

Question rear wheel bearing

whats the eastiest way too tell if your rear wheel bearing is going out and how hard are they to replace?
willow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
sam's 72

Put the truck up on jack stands, pull rear tires off, put it in nutral, and grab the axle and spin it. should hear noise from bearing if it is bad. You should be able to feel it also while turning axle.. Their not too bad to change out. Pull cover on difirential, take the spider gears out. Once gears are out, push in on axle from the out side. Then look on the inside, you will see a C clip, remove it, pull axle out. Do both sides,( remember which one came out of right and left side, put them back in the sam way ) Once axle are out of the way, go to auto parts house, and rent a bearing puller, pull them out, then reinstall new one, put every thing back together. Not too bad of a job.
Sam
Old 07-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
willow72

how hard is it to change gear ratio if i have to get in to the rear end i might as well try takle that at same time or not?
willow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:49 PM   #4
sam's 72

This is a whole different ball game. If you have never ever done this or if you never seen it done. I would not atempt to do it. You have got to get the backlash set right. This is clearance between ring gear and pinion gear. I am not saying you cant do this your self. I dont know your capabilities. But I had this done one time, and a very very experiance guy did it, and it took him like 5 hours. I can't tell you how many time he pulled the gear back out then back in, every time useing a new crush sleeve.
Sam
Old 07-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If you have a locking rear end, then what I'm fixin' to tell you will not work. But, if you have a non-locking rear end, we used to put the vehicle on a rack, and raise it up. Then, we took a wooden drink case, and set it on the floor and lowered the vehicle until one tire rested on the drink case. With that done, the other rear tires would still be off the floor.

Next, we started the engine and put it in gear....transmission type doesn't matter, but if it is a stick, you'll have to let the clutch out. With someone at the side of the tire that is off the floor, let them listen as the tire begins to rotate. The side with the noisy bearing will be evident. Of course, it could be that both are bad, but the roar will be evident.

This didn't have anything to do with how to fix it, only how to find it. If you have a locking rear end, you don't want to have either rear tire on anything solid, as it could become dangerous for anyone around you when you drop it in gear or let out the clutch.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
Gordo

Many times the worn bearing has damaged the axle. NAPA sells a replacement bearing that remedies that situation. It is for a 1/2 ton truck and the NAPA # is R1559. They call it a repair bearing. It works well and saves you from replacing/repairing the axle. $$$$
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote