The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
7gmc2

Question oversized drums vs. discs

just was wondering if anybody has installed the early classic's oversized rear drum setup? http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalogpg16.html . it looks pretty big in compairsion to the stock setup. claims 28% better brakeing. i don't dispute that, i just wonder if it is equal to the rear disc set up? figureing cost of both, they seem to be about the same. i guess the real story is the end results. anybody gone this way instead of the disc setup?
7gmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
sam's 72

I would not buy this set up that you see here. I up graded my rear brakes, to larger ones and it did make a diferance. But before you spend that kind of money with that kit, here is another ideal. Find you a 76 -80 chevy heavy half truck. The shoes on these truck are the large ones they are 2 3/4 inch wide. Our is like 2 or 2 1/4 i can't remember. Take the backing plates off the rearend of the heavy half, leave the shoe in place so that you can use all the spring and clips from the heavy half. The backing plates will bolt right on to our 12 bolts. Use everything, backing plate to drums off the heavy half. You won't spend as much as that kit is going this route.
Sam
Old 07-19-2004, 08:30 PM   #3
7gmc2

hey thanks sam, that is what i like good and cheap! how much of a difference do you think it made for you? do you think it is as good as the rear disc setup?
7gmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
sam's 72

I don't know if it is as good or not. A friend of mine that drag races, he told me one time that as far as street driving, rear disc set up are not really worth the money. So I really can't say yea or nea on this. I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago, and decided to go with heavier rear brake shoe instead of disc. I bought my backing plates with shoe still attached with all the parts to hold the shoes on from a board memeber. I believed I paid $25.00 plus shipping. Once I got them I took every thing off the backing plates, sand blasted them, repainted, cleaned up all the springs and clips. Bought my drums and brake shoes from praise dyno brakes .com. The shoes are ceramic, at the time I did this, I replaced every thing on my truck as far as brakes are concern. The only part that I use was the brake pedal. I did every thing, power booster, master cylinder, prop valve, all new S.S. brake lines, new calipers, new rotors, new brake cylinders for back ( which I also got from praise dyno brake ) new shoes on back and new drums. When I was done it made a big big differance in my truck.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
64fleetside

The Heavy Halfs & Big 10 have the larger rear brakes, also there are others equipped w/towing pkg etc. Easily IDed due to 2 3/4 " wide drums, you need the backing plates & drums. Shoes, hardware,cylinders etc available new. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:23 AM   #6
jimfulco

Suburbans might also be a source. My '79 has the bigger rear brakes.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote