The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
cochino12
It followed me home?

Horn problems/relay?

I cant seem to get my horn to work. The green wire going to the horns has power constant as well as the wire under the horn button on the steering wheel. I dont think that the wire should have constant power under the hood. I checked my chilton and it shows a horn relay in the wiring diagram, where is the relay? any other ideas?

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
Bowed

I dont know for sure where it is on your mid 80's trucks but I think the horn feed runs straight back to the fuse junction so I will guess it is under the dash near the fuse panel . I think you actualy have 2 problems because you should "not " have a constant 12V at the feed wire but if you do and the horn will not sound then either the horn is bad or it is not grounding thru the base of the horn to chassis ground . Run a jumper wire from the battery + terminal to the horn and see if you get any action .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
Bowed

This might help you , the relay has 3 conections green to the horn , black to the switch and orange to the fuse panel .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:16 AM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

I took my relay apart becuase I was too poor to buy a new one, the problem with mine was that the switch inside had warped and wasn't making contact like it should, I bent it back, and its been good even since I can get you some pics tommorow night if you want to see what my relay looks like.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:47 AM   #5
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I took my relay apart becuase I was too poor to buy a new one, the problem with mine was that the switch inside had warped and wasn't making contact like it should, I bent it back, and its been good even since I can get you some pics tommorow night if you want to see what my relay looks like.

Ha ha RUSSELL I was going to just pm you because I remember you had some problems with your and you tore it all apart, I figured you knew where all the wires and relays were. Where is the relay at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowed
I dont know for sure where it is on your mid 80's trucks but I think the horn feed runs straight back to the fuse junction so I will guess it is under the dash near the fuse panel . I think you actualy have 2 problems because you should "not " have a constant 12V at the feed wire but if you do and the horn will not sound then either the horn is bad or it is not grounding thru the base of the horn to chassis ground . Run a jumper wire from the battery + terminal to the horn and see if you get any action ...
I cant tell if the horn will sound because as soon as I hook up the wires to the horn it sounds, so thats why I think it's the relay. I can hook the green wire to the horn and its on

thanks for the help guys

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 07-26-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Any luck with pics? Please

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 07-26-2004, 03:58 PM   #7
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Ha ha my horn is activated with a button on the turn signal. Almost everything inside the steering column is non functional except the steering shaft itself. here's a link to a pic of my horn button. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/563034/2
its a few images down, but you will see it quite plainly, along with my manual choke
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote