The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
bigblock73
yeller

What'd you get done this weekend?

Since Ken is at TX Heatwave, I figured I'd start this thread in his absence.

I didn't get much truck stuff done this weekend, but I did manage to get a hood for it. I drove all the way to Illinois for this hood (400+ miles each way), well it wasn't just for the hood. Me and the little lady wanted to "get away" for a day or two...so we combined the two and we both got something we wanted. This is an original GM hood, the guy I purchased it from bought it in '82 with the intentions of putting it on his truck...but since sold the truck before getting around to it. It has been in his garage ever since.
Attached Images

bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:44 PM   #2
76HighSierra
DAMN, I love Big Blocks!

I yanked the nasty looking 454 out of my '76 suburban (donor vehocle), to begin the teardown. It will be built and go into my High Sierra. Considering it was a big unknown when I bought it (other than it ran), it looks good. Good clean std. bores. haven't gotten the pan off yet to check the crank.

Dirty, isn't it?
454 c.i.d./ TH400. *Soon to get a mild warming over.*
3.40 rear.
76HighSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:13 PM   #3
Beyond

Got the A.C. working on the Dually this weekend. Got a used compressor from a friend off a burb he's parting out. Took a while to get the crap out of the condensor - had a lot of metal shavings in it from the old compressor but we finally got it flushed out good. A.C. works good now. One more thing to scratch off my list to fix on it.

Big block looks like a good one to fix up there Marc. I'm a big block fan myself, here's the one in my Nova

1987 454 Dually Crew Cab
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:19 PM   #4
76HighSierra
DAMN, I love Big Blocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond
Got the A.C. working on the Dually this weekend. Got a used compressor from a friend off a burb he's parting out. Took a while to get the crap out of the condensor - had a lot of metal shavings in it from the old compressor but we finally got it flushed out good. A.C. works good now. One more thing to scratch off my list to fix on it.

Big block looks like a good one to fix up there Marc. I'm a big block fan myself, here's the one in my Nova

Oh...I like! This one will get punched .030', get 9.5:1 pistons, the 781 heads will be slightly re-worked, mild (.501" lift) cam, all topped with an edelbrock performer intake and restored/modified q-jet. I could have went a lot crazier, but I still use this truck as....well.....a truck.
3.40 rear.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
SanitysBane

ran the truck, best time of 14.37 at 96.59 before the tranny died
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:27 PM   #6
1972C10
Account Suspended

I dropped the trans out of my 72 So i Can Put In My New TCI Super Street Fighter Stall Convertor
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:33 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

I'm busy working to earn money for my truck, put in 8 hrs of brute labour, welding, and bobcat operation (didn't get to spend the whole time in it, unfortunately, only when the operator wasn't able to do something with my machine, lol) Spent most of my time welding, and I've got a wicked radiation burn already... The pay is awesome though, probally pay off most of my TPI by the end of the week...
Old 07-25-2004, 10:42 PM   #8
Bowed

I had to pull the 454 back out of the blazer to get the right flywheel put on there , hate it when you have to do extra work like pulling engines bacause of simple mistakes . Well anyway its ready to swing back in and by the way Jeff thanks for your input on that problem .

Quote:

Any more pics of the Nova and maybe some pictures of the build up .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:52 PM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowed
I had to pull the 454 back out of the blazer to get the right flywheel put on there...and by the way Jeff thanks for your input on that problem
No problem, I only knew that because I went thru the very same problem myself just recently with Yeller.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
patgizz

mine got delivered from down south this morning, and i got the nasty carpet ripped out and started piling the parts up in the garage to assemble my engine when the block and crank come back in a few days.
patgizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 11:50 PM   #11
7T7
Regular guy

Made it out to the Heatwave Saturday. I Finally had a chance to meet up with Ken (n2trux) and Keith (n2billet).
It was a real pleasure chatting with you guys and getting a moment to catch some shade and a chair was a real life saver.
Hopefully Ken got some shots of the rides that were there. I had good intentions but hanging around some of the nicer trucks while the crowds passed made picture taking a low priority.
Anyhow got some motivation and welded in a crossmember and boxed in some of the frame today.
I need to get AC in my shop.....I'm getting old and spoiled.
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:46 AM   #12
bluex

The '78 took its first breath today at 5pm. So my first engine rebuild is a success!! Now I can sleep easy knowing I didnt mess something up.

I do need a new heater core, and I have a tapped hole in my block right above the cam gear. Anyone know what this could be for? Its 3/8 fine thread, and I've got a set screw to plug it, but it wont seal off. I ran the engine for 5 mins to break in the cam (somewhere between 2-3k, no tach) and lost about a quart of oil through that hole. The oil pressure started dropping so I didnt want to risk it. I idled it down and shut it off. After it cooled I tried resealing it and I'm letting it sit tonight so the silicone will cure.

Here are a few pics before I put the hoses and stuff in the way..

Last edited by bluex; 07-26-2004 at 01:15 AM. Reason: add pics.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:01 AM   #13
BadBlu

i got my interior repainted in black. along with the door jams. got all the trim dyed to black as well with the exception of the door panels. i want to do something diferent with them. just havn't decided on what yet. so now i just need a black hood liner and black vinyl flooring or black carpet for the floor and the interior is set. oh yeah, next weekend i'm picking up a set of bucket seats from N2TRUX. thanks man.....
BadBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:29 AM   #14
TwinTurbo

I installed vortex header cone inserts to reduce the noise of my exhaust a bit but they don't work LOL, only took the respy edge off....oh well

This is what took up most of my time:

TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:51 AM   #15
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

I went to the Sandy Cruise In-Fly In show today. It was the best car show I've been to in quite a while. They have cars and planes both come in for a pancake breakfast at a small grass-strip airport in the foothills of Mt. Hood in Oregon (20 miles from Portland). Anyhow, lots of awesome cars, some nice trucks and great planes too!

I don't have pics since I left my camera in my truck when I drove my uncle's 76 to the show. Pics of that one coming soon...
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed

Last edited by ElGracho; 07-26-2004 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Fix typo...
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:15 AM   #16
Nvbowtie

I got my carpet and carpet trim in.
Attached Images

1988 Chevy Blazer Tahoe
Nvbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:20 AM   #17
Beyond

Here's a pic of the outside, I've got some more pictures of it on my website - http://www.iola.com/71nova

TwinTurbo - that Vette looks like fun!

BlueX - if you're talking about the hole between the timing chain cover and the intake, that's an oil galley hole. It's 1/8" Pipe Thread.
1987 454 Dually Crew Cab
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #18
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Friday, my buddy Scott came up from Austin to pick up an 87 Grand National parts car up here, and he enlisted my help. We weren't able to find a car trailer on short notice, so we got a tow dolly instead. When we get there, the guy tells us that there are only 2 lug nuts on each wheel. So we go on a wild goose chase to get lug nuts, then he tells us the rear might be out of fluid. Instead of messing with that in the dark, we elect to tow it from the rear. About half way home, people are honking at us, and we find the front wheels have caught fire. We got that put out, car turned around, and rear end fluid in. The rest of the trip was uneventful, thankfully. This also gave us something to laugh about all weekend.

Saturday, we get up early to take the GN to Scott's place in Austin, and go to the heat wave. Got to meet up with N2TRUX, (Keith was off somewhere) and check out a ton of good looking vehicles. I was surprised to see so many Chrysler 300's out there already. Also found out why it is the "Heat Wave". Man, it was hot. Went back to Scott's to help take off the hood and decklid. You know, the heavy stuff. A few hours and a lot of beers later, the car is stripped past the front doors. We are still laughing about the fire...

Sunday, get up and get suckered into working on the car some more. Have to leave early to get something done at my house. Come back home, and a cool front had moved over Dallas. So I have to work on my stuff. Find the terrible miss in my 87, and work on getting the tach dash put in the Blazer. Not entirely successful on the dash, but getting closer. I am glad to be back at work today, so I can get some rest!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:41 AM   #19
Prerunner1982

Lets see.. I drove a Duece from Camp Gruber (eastern okla close to lake Tenkiller) to OKC, luckily it wasnt as hot as it had been. I spent the rest of the weekend unpacking. By the way, for those of you who didnt realize i was gone i was on my 2 week annual training for guard... the 2 coolest things i saw/did were i got to fly in a black hawk again.. and i got to see a duece do a wheelie.. it wasnt much but the front wheels came off the ground about 6-8".
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:25 AM   #20
TwinTurbo

Quote:
TwinTurbo - that Vette looks like fun!
Thanks, so does your nova, that engine is awesome very nice.
BlueX, you mean the hole above the timing cover here (above the gear drive in this case) ???

Last edited by TwinTurbo; 07-26-2004 at 11:30 AM.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:02 PM   #21
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo
Thanks, so does your nova, that engine is awesome very nice.
BlueX, you mean the hole above the timing cover here (above the gear drive in this case) ???

Thats the one, right there on the left side of the block in that flat spot. I looked at my stepdads '66 to see what they plugged his with and it dosent have a hole there. I cant remember it being there when I dropped the block at the machine shop. They plugged all the holes while they had it but this one. Is it 1/8 pipe thread as mention above? This would explain why I cant get it to seal with that set screw. It looks bigger than 1/8 to me though.

Thanks guys,
Paul
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:12 PM   #22
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

I changed spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, i sanded my white front bumper and re painted it white, i cleaned and soaked my rear bumper in preperation to be primered and painted chrome. My dad bought the truck with the galvanized steel diamond plate step bumper rather than the goofy GM bumper. I also installed a set of fog lights but i have to do all the wiring today.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:58 PM   #23
Grim Reaper

The GM's are fine. Drove the Sub for the first time in a month and of course it's out of gas just liek the last time I drove it. My wifes grocery store hopping 3 miles down the road sure does get bad MPG. 8.2

Got my ASE certified buddy to take a good listen to my 4Runner. Once I get the $runner dependabe the Burb gets parked and the wife gets the Honda back. Bud says my intermitant piss is a miss firing injector ot it's dirty injectors. So Need to yank them tonight and drop them at this place that services them. It makes sense that it's the problem. It's intermitatly running right but after my last Toy had a injector with about the same miles on it crap out and burned a valve it's not worth the risk. Get them serviced and be sure even if it doesn't fix the problem it's one less thing it could be.

Worked most of Sunday on the 1959 Airstream trying to fix a leak. Slowed it down a LOT but still a little leak. I think it's the window frame and that will be replaced soon. The doaner camper is being stripped this weekend in CO. They guy stripping it will be headed back home to Dallas TX Tuesday of next week and with some luck he can get them shipped to me by friday.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:43 PM   #24
76HighSierra
DAMN, I love Big Blocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex
It looks bigger than 1/8 to me though.

Thanks guys,
Paul

It looks bigger than 1/8th because it is. NPT sizing is different than regular sizing. A 1/8th NPT plug is far bigger than a 1/8th drill bit. Get what I'm saying? Just run down to your local FLAPS and get a 1/8th npt plug, put some teflon paste (not tape) on it and threat it in fairly tight. You should be good to go.
3.40 rear.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:09 PM   #25
CT-Truckster
?

Well, I finally got the front wall of my shop up. Put plastic up to keep the rain out till I can get time to put up my roll up door in about two weeks, and do the wiring thing for lights and power.

CT-Truckster is offline   Reply With Quote