The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2004, 11:59 PM   #1
n737nc

New motor won't start........Help?

Hey guys,

Just installed my new motor this weekend. Tried to fire it up, and nothing

It just turns over and does not even try to fire. If you give it any gas at all, it backfires through the carb.
It sounds like a timming issue, but where to start? The distributor is stabbed correctly, all of the plug wires are in the correct order.

Any ideas? Could I have the cam 180 degrees out? Should I take the distributor out, turn the crank 360 degrees and restab the distributor?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
n737nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:18 AM   #2
Harold Shepard

You may have the dist. 180 degrees out. Instead of turning the crank pull your dist. and rotate it 180 instead. Be sure to pull motor up to tdc and run your plug wires again- did you prime the motor before you started cranking on it? Also check you oil and make sure it does not smell like gas, if it does change it before you try to crank again- it will wash down the motor and cause big problems.... The reason I ak and state this is if you have been pouring gas in and trying and trying to crank soon you can get too much and it washes down the cylinder walls, thereby removing the thin layer of oil and putting engine metal to metal... not a good situation.. hope this helps.
Harold Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 AM   #3
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

I agree with Harold. What I like to do is find TDC, then rotate the crank so that the timing mark shows 6-8 degrees advanced, and stab the distributor so that it lines up exactly on the #1 cylinder. Double-check our plug wires then check them again. I recommend this process for new engines since it gets you much closer to final timing and, therefore, eliminates one variable as you're trying to get that cam broke in. Oh, and like Harold says, change that oil if you're at all in doubt. It's cheap insurance in these critical moments.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
bigjimzlll

You need to be on #1 cylinders compression stroke. If you installed the distributor at TDC(with the cam marks lined up at 6 and 12 oclock) you are at n umber 6 compression stroke. I pull #1 plug and stick a damp paper towel in the plug hole, then turn over slowly until the paper towel "pops" out, then continue turning it over until your at 8-10 degrees advanced, then stick the distribtor in.

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #5
n737nc

Alright, I'll give it a shot tonight after I get home.

The motor is primed, and I could have swore that I had the #1 piston at TDC. But, I could be wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Nick
Old 07-27-2004, 12:16 AM   #6
n737nc

Alright! I got the motor started!
The dist was 180* out.
Next question: It ran fine all through the cam break in(30 min). But, at the end of that time it was running about 210*. After I shut it off, it rose up to 230*. Do I just have an air bubble, or should I start looking somewhere else?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:34 AM   #7
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Alright! I got the motor started!
The dist was 180* out.
Next question: It ran fine all through the cam break in(30 min). But, at the end of that time it was running about 210*. After I shut it off, it rose up to 230*. Do I just have an air bubble, or should I start looking somewhere else?
Yeah, probably air. It can be a real PITA to work out sometimes. She'll run a little hot until broke in, too.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:03 AM   #8
n737nc

Well, I'll try the asprin in the thermostat trick tonight. It seems that she is leaking where the temp sensor goes into the head, so I need to drain the coolant anyway.

Thanks again,
Nick
Old 07-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #9
browndawg71

It Will Run Hot Until Broke In . It Wont Hurt To Run It A Little Hot Anyways
browndawg71 is offline   Reply With Quote