The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2004, 03:27 AM   #1
newchevylover

can anyone help me please??...

Hello people I think this is neat that you have a club for Chevy fans. I'm new to this... Well I'm new and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find some new tail-lights for my truck such as euro's or carbon fiber, I have a 1973 Custom Deluxe 10 Chevrolet Truck, 350 V8 5.7L (3 on the tree)-Standard. This truck is in pretty bad shape not exterior wise, but under the hood. I just gave it a lil' tone up this saturday. I switched the sparkplugs(could you believe the spark plug on this truck were mix sizes?!?!), sparkplugs wires, rotor, dist. cap, battery, battery cables, put a new starter on it along w/ a fuel pump. Oh I also put chrome valve covers, chrome air filter, and a pcv valve (ofcourse). The good news is I work at Napa so I get a really good discount on all of these products. I bought some Royal Purple oil but I can't change the oil with a cold truck, it use to start but now it won't. Anyways a mechanic should becoming today... but for now I am looking for other parts for it. Can some tell one me how to put pics on here and where some links for parts for this truck are?--- THANK YOU for your time... -Daniel from S.A. TX!
P.S. when it does run, it makes a put put sound like if a lifter is out, is that bad to be running it like that?

Last edited by newchevylover; 07-27-2004 at 03:59 AM. Reason: to attract people's attention
newchevylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:13 AM   #2
Blue Beard

Welcome from SW Washington State.....

What do you mean mixed sizes on the spark plugs? I have seen some of these trucks with two different heads. One using the old style plugs, the other the resister plugs.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:40 AM   #3
Prerunner1982

check out www.73-87.com for parts sites. as far as euro lenses check ebay. also welcome to our addiction.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

welcome to the board
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Welcome from, uh, San Antonio... <waves>

It sounds like you put something back together wrong. Maybe a spark plug is loose, or you have the firing order mixed up. Since you have a mechanic coming to look at it today, I would just wait to change the oil.

The temptation is always there to buy fun stuff for a new vehicle, like chrome and new tail lights. I would recommend, though, that you spend your money first on getting it to run well, and then work on making it look better. A good running truck will get you to work. A pretty one that won't run looks good in the driveway while you ride the bus. VIA VIA! (VIA is the name of the SA bus system for those of you from elsewhere)

Slonaker
Old 07-27-2004, 09:33 PM   #6
newchevylover

hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beard
Welcome from SW Washington State.....

What do you mean mixed sizes on the spark plugs? I have seen some of these trucks with two different heads. One using the old style plugs, the other the resister plugs.
what i meant is that this sparkplug that I used were AC Delco R44T sparkplugs that required a 7/16 socket(i believe), on one of the sparkplugs it used a 13/16 socket on that awkward spark plug which was a gator. Thats what i meant by mix sizes.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:14 PM   #7
newchevylover

Thanks for the welcome prerunner482 and MHC for the welcome, glad to be here.=
Old 07-27-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
newchevylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
Welcome from, uh, San Antonio... <waves>

It sounds like you put something back together wrong. Maybe a spark plug is loose, or you have the firing order mixed up. Since you have a mechanic coming to look at it today, I would just wait to change the oil.

The temptation is always there to buy fun stuff for a new vehicle, like chrome and new tail lights. I would recommend, though, that you spend your money first on getting it to run well, and then work on making it look better. A good running truck will get you to work. A pretty one that won't run looks good in the driveway while you ride the bus. VIA VIA! (VIA is the name of the SA bus system for those of you from elsewhere)

Slonaker
Hey, thanks for the advice, its funny because my step-father insist on me not spending any money on it, but I think it is very un-wise (stupid) to do that.-Thats why a gave it a lil' T.L.C. this saturday. As for the truck, other then that put-put sound it makes, it is in decent-(i wouldn't say good) condition. The only thing I am worried about is that my step father says that he thinks that is the wrong engine for the truck, he says that it is to small. -I don't know, I hope it isn't. I think all the trucks are like that. (have all that space under the hood). Anyways, thanks again for advice. I can't wait to get this truck to show or some what show quality. I originally had a 1993 Mazda 626 but I blew the transmission. And I figured it would be cheaper to fix this truck and I'd prefer to have this truck then that car. LOL-off subject again**ADIOS** from S.A. T.X. (north-east Kirby area)
Old 07-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

Welcome to the board Daniel!

Here is the links page on my site Prerunner eluded to...

http://www.73-87.com/links/trklinks.htm
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:12 PM   #10
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

you said it has a 350 in it correct?these series of trucks came with engines ranging from a 250 straight six all the way up to a 454 big block V-8.your truck has one of the more common if not the most common small block in it.it may not be the original motor since you initially referred to it as a 5.7 liter which i believe they didnt start calling the 350 that until the 80's or 90's.do you know what your truck came with originally.the trucks do have very spacious engine bays so its possible to go up to something bigger if you wanted to.

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote