The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

May be selling everything, maybe...

After a long discussion with my wife and some serious thinking, I've semi decided to start selling my project. I have a ton of parts, not all in real good shape, but most are salvageable. I tried not to keep anything I couldn't fix. I just don't have the time or money to get this thing back on the road. I started it because it was my high school hot rod, and I also drove it everyday to college. As I started taking it apart, I realized I should have started with a more solid base. It was a complete mess. The cab was beyond repair, the frame was rotted, the fenders were toast and the doors were trash. The bedsides may be able to be used, and the rear fenders could possibly be repaired. So, I bought 2 cabs to repair to make one, I bought a new frame with discs and 72 BB motor mounts already powdercoated, I bought some repairable front fenders and so on and so on. What I have now is not my old trusty truck, it's a pile of parts I call "frankentruck". Some are ready to go, some are in repair, and some are still waiting. I don't have any time to put into it and it's taking up my whole garage, I have no money to pay someone else to work on it, and my bodywork abilities are weak at best. I had great ambitions, but little skill. This leads me to where I am now. Do I sell it and wait for a new project, or do I keep plugging away knowing full well it will most likely never be back on the road? My wife told me to wait a while. I'm going to Mexico for a week and a half and she said to wait til I get back to make a decision about it. She would really like to be able to park in the garage, but she also knows how much I enjoy working on it. She can see the frustration building as I work like crazy and get no where. I want to know what you guys think. I know most of you will say "keep it, don't sell it", but be honest.

jmanz69
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
7gmc2

never say never! it may look bad now but if you ever do fix it it will most likely be the greatest thing in you life (kids,wife, and family excluded of corse). if you sell it then odds are you will get another one some where down the line and then you will have a new set of problems to work with. you know, "same crap in a differen't dish". i think you should think long and hard on this one. your wife seems to understand, and that is half the battle!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
OhioDan

Hang in there jmanz69. I've went down that road a time or two myself. Had big plans to redo my truck and really have something. Well, that started back in 93. Had the same sort of problems you're describing. There's been times that I just felt like calling a scrapyard and telling them to come get it. After 11 years, you can see how far I've gotten. Still not done. But I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. Trust me, it will get better.

Attached Images

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
shuttermutt
Don't say "Oops!", Doctor

Frankly, I see two sides here. First, sometimes you just use 'em all up. I mean, the truck has served you well and perhaps it's time to let it die gracefully. Yes, Virginia... sometimes they just can't be saved.

Then there's the other side. You've got a truck that obviously means something to you. It has personal value beyond the sum of the parts (which, by your account are lying all over the county ) and that's important. If you enjoy working on it and you've got the support of your family, that's something to be considered.

Take, for example, my Chevelle. I got the car between my Junior and Senior year in high school. I drove it to college. I drove it to my first two jobs. I took it on long road trips. Hell, that car took me everywhere and back again. I even had my senior pictures taken with it.

All the while, I kept running into people that would say, "Oh man! I used to have a car just like that. Boy, I really wish I wouldn't have sold that car!" At some point, I decided that come hell or high water, I wasn't going to be that guy and so I kept it.

I kept it when I moved to another state. I kept it when the IRS came knocking and I was flat-ass broke. I kept it when I didn't have a job and I really needed to make the rent. I kept it when my daughter was born.

I kept it.

All the while, the car waited patiently. A little more rust here. A new scratch there. Things weren't getting better, but that title was still in my name. Fortunately, I've got a very understanding and supportive wife that knew how much that car meant. So we waited.

Then I got fortunate and a windfall financial event meant I had enough money to finally do what I'd always planned on doing -- a full frame-off restoration. No expense spared. No compromises. To date, I've blown through about $25,000 on bodywork, interior, drivetrain and parts and I'm still about $5,000 away from finishing it.

The car's almost done now. In fact, it goes back into the body shop in September to have the front-end clip hung and the final buffing done. Money's a lot tighter now than it was when I started, but with the help of family and friends, somehow it will all come together. And when it does, what will I have to show for it?

My car.
1967 C10 SWB: Claimed when Bumpster didn't put it on his list

Last edited by shuttermutt; 07-27-2004 at 08:35 PM.
shuttermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:13 PM   #5
obsesive23
Who me?

Just sit on it awhile. Me personally I've had a project going for 17 years and it's almost done but other projects always seem to keep coming and my mustang has to wait like recently my 68 stepside has had more progress in 1 month than most in years. Just hold on good things come to those that wait. Besides would another truck have the history and memories?

72 2WD Blazer, under going porter built surgery
67 GT Mustang fastback
67 Mustang coupe C/S clone
64 Falcon sprint hardtop
obsesive23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:16 PM   #6
whitesswj
Embrace the Redneck

sounds like dude needs to be overhauled.

tell the wifey or other closer ones to nominate you!!

sswj's .02

Son, you just can't get there from here...
whitesswj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:26 PM   #7
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

As I always say.. '' Easy to sell, hard to replace!" Hold on and time and cash will come. A guy at work asked today about mine. Told him had the motor in and almost ready to paint. He said thats what you said 7 yrs ago when we started workin' here.Well at least I still got it!!!!! LOL!!!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:44 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

The old longhorn that caused many fights tween my wifey & me.....she refers to as "my baby" , when i think about getting out of the truck fun. i have had ,played with that old truck for 20yrs now, & the top side still is not done! You might call it a love/hate relationship at times(with the truck).....i have closed the garage door, & walked away from that project many times, but the old truck just keeps calling me back it took my wife many yrs to understand, & now I am building toys for my kids to drive(waiting my time). The old truck doesnt look bad in primer, runs like stink,& is lots of fun to play with(when I have time) I say, walk away from the "madness" for a bit, & you will have time to clear your head ......as long as the truck doesnt eat all the cash coming in, or take up all your time....you will enjoy it. best of luck,crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:09 AM   #9
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

two words 'KEEP IT'

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote