The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Bezel Differences?? WTF????

I know the bezel changed from in 79 with the bottom of the column trim piece and then also in 84? when the wiper control moved from the bezel to the turn signal column. Now here's my dilemma- I installed the new Autometers in the truck with a bezel I got off a member. He didn't know what year it came from but looked like the one I had. Only difference is that the new one has a extra back trim piece around the edges where my factory one doesn't. It's a small piece of trim like it slips into place into the off green style inner bezel but when I mount it to the truck the trim piece that is different on the new one hits the dash itself where it won't mount up right. Looks like I'm off to a junkyard unless anyone has any ideas on how to fix this?

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Post a pic Brandon if you can. I believe you have my old bezel. I gave mine to Eddie, and I think he then gave it to Big Red, who I assume you got it from. I do know it is not a 73 bezel if that is the case. The easiest fix would be to get a off green color gauge mount assembly from a junkyard if you already modified the bezel to fit your auges.

But, post a pic so we can see wtf you are talking about.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I'm headed to the junkyard liquidation sale Sunday and see if I can grab one like my old one. Once I have both my old one and the one I got from Big Red (yeah it's been passed around, LOL!!) I'll show you the differences.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 07-30-2004, 09:30 PM   #4
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Brandon, I can't really picture the one you are describing, but even after 20 years of playing with these trucks I still find out something new at LEAST once a year. Recently I found out that the 73-74 bezels fits those years only because of a very narrow wiper switch hole. I prolly have one of every year bezel here if I knew which one you needed. DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossy
I found out that the 73-74 bezels fits those years only because of a very narrow wiper switch hole. I prolly have one of every year bezel here if I knew which one you needed. DAVE
AND it has a narrow headlight switch opening, whereas others, you can remove the bezel without having to remove the pull knob for the lights...like 73-74.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

This one has the wide cut out for the lights and the wiper. The main difference between the one I have factory and the "odd" one is the thicker style outer edge. It looks exaclty the same from the from and gauges all mount the same but it is kinda L shaped from the top looking down the sides or side to side. It's also like a rim on the inner part towards the light green section where it would fit in a groove like a tongue and groove plywood but only side grooved. When I get the other one mounted I'll show you what I mean.