The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2004, 09:00 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

It's time for our Sunday evening feature of "What did you get done?" This week/weekend I got NOTHING done. I worked all weekend so nothing got done on my truck(s). I planned to wash my 02 GMC and get pics so I could put it on traderonline.com but it rained all afternoon....

I need to get it sold so I can make rooom for something else....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
patgizz

around the house: got new pea gravel laid down for the dog so she isnt laying in mud

on the burb: my buddy just dropped off the exhaust : headers, 2 catco cats, 2 cherry bomb turbo mufflers, balance tube kit, and dynomax dual exhaust kit. got called by machine shop, my block needed bored, so it needs new pistons, so i need to pay them more than i was hoping to.

on the lumina: dropped my new low mile 3400 in and got it almost all hooked up.

polished the grille and front bumper on the caddy:

patgizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I actually worked all weekend on my Blazer. I drove it to work on Saturday, and heard a weird grinding sound. I ended up doing teh rear brakes, as they were nearly to metal. I left the top at work and cruised home. My 700 transplant works great! It locks up at 45 just like it is supposed to. I started to pull the interior to run wiring for the stereo, and decided to mount the new seats. Since I had the seats out, I decided to cut the new side panels for the rear, and then installed a trans cooler, put the dash back together, got the tach dash modified and in (most of it works, too!), replaced the battery, put the grille back in, and a bunch of other stuff. I even took pictures. That was also a good excuse to take my dog for a ride with the top off, so she is in them, too.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2004, 10:25 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy
I actually worked all weekend on my Blazer...... My 700 transplant works great! It locks up at 45 just like it is supposed to.
I need to talk to you about that. I want to do a conversion in my 77. What all do I need....besides the tranny?
Old 08-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
I need to talk to you about that. I want to do a conversion in my 77. What all do I need....besides the tranny?
TV cable and bracket, lockup wiring kit, brake switch, shifter dial indicator, converter, new flexplate (unless you already have a dual pattern one), and possibly a speedometer cable (different length?).

That is all I can think of right now, Jonboy will add some I am sure.

Also, what gears do you have out back now Ken?
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
TV cable and bracket, lockup wiring kit, brake switch, shifter dial indicator, converter, new flexplate (unless you already have a dual pattern one), and possibly a speedometer cable (different length?).
So what your saying is I need to find a donor truck that I can strip all the parts from...

Quote:
.....Also, what gears do you have out back now Ken?
As far as I know they are 3.08's. It came with an open carrier and 3.08's, so I "assume" it still has the original gears.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-01-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:50 PM   #7
76HighSierra
DAMN, I love Big Blocks!

Not a damn thing, unless you count sitting home nursing a herniated disc in my back!
454 c.i.d./ TH400. *Soon to get a mild warming over.*
3.40 rear.
76HighSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:11 PM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I got lucky and robbed everything from the 82 Blazer I had. Do you have the long tailshaft 350 in your truck right now? I had one in the blazer, and ended up using teh original crossmember and mount. The 700 driveshaft was about 1" shorter. I swapped the columns, as the 82 had tilt, and the shifter has a different detent to downshift to first. I used the TV and accelerator cable bracket from the 82, but an aftermarket one will work as well. I also used the Painless wiring kit before I saw the instructions on Jeff's site. My truck already had the shift indicator with the OD lettering, the 82 said "Automatic Overdrive" above the letters. I went ahead and added a Summit trans cooler as well for good measure.

A couple points of interest: GM changed the trans dipstick tubes in later production units (90 or so?). They went to a boot seal and a locking dipstick instead of the o-ring seal. I think these transmissions would boil the fluid and spit it on the converter. which is right below the dipstick tube. I had an 89 'burb burn to the ground because of this. The other thing is the 700 seems a lot bigger around than a 350. It is a royal PITA to connect the cooler lines fro some reason. I had to fight mine to the point of wondering if 700's have a metric thread. They do not. Patience won out, finally.

That is all I can think of, off the top of my head. Once the trans was bolted in, everything went pretty easy. I had a dual pattern flexplate (I think most small blocks do) and the speedo cable was the same. Mine seems to be super long, as someone bypassed the factory cruise.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:11 PM   #9
Prerunner1982

lets seeeee.......saturday me and the wife went garage selling. spent $11 and got my daughter a bike, 21 books, and 2 puzzles. nothing for us though. we got training wheels and put them on and put the BBQ grille together finally.
sunday i worked 12hrs and then taught my daughter to ride her bike......
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:42 PM   #10
SanitysBane

ok i have a couple of question on the 700 swap, first, whats wrong with a toggle switch to manual lock up and unlock the tq when ever you feel like it? thats the best and easyest way for me. my truck came with a 700 and it didn't have anything but the main harness up to the firewall were it just stoped, i dunno what the crap happend to it, oh well toggle switch! but maybe thats just me. oh! and i also have a drive shaft for a 700 long box, not shure on shipping it if anyone is a long boxer...anywho, i killed my 2nd transmission case!!! so im sorta glad about that actually the last 700 was a pos and had something internally wrong with it. so we order all of our parts for it from wwww.balkpart.com cheap stuff i must say, and well i got bored on saterday so then i went to town and pulled my bench out, and my carpet and fixed my brothers sub box for my 2 12s. and i also installed my battery box in the back. tomo is going to do all of the wiring i can while i wait for my distribution block and inline fuse to come in. ah gotta love not being able to by anything from a store.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:46 PM   #11
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The main reason I didn't want a toggle switch tor the lockup is that I forget. Drive a late 90's Suburban with the converter that stays engaged and you will see what I am saying. I would forget and leave it locked in, and the engine would die at stoplights.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:50 PM   #12
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yeah me too. I can't get used to not having auto headlights since all my newer trucks have it. I know I wouldn't remember to lock/unlock the convertor. Besides that just not me....
Old 08-03-2004, 09:34 PM   #13
Destructo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Yeah me too. I can't get used to not having auto headlights since all my newer trucks have it. I know I wouldn't remember to lock/unlock the convertor. Besides that just not me....
I picked up a wiring kit from bowtie overdrives for my 700r4 in the 85 (75 bucks or so) It gives me the option to manually lock the converter up in 2nd and 3rd and will automatically lockup in 4th, it WILL NOT lockup in 1st and the wiring diagram tells you how to wire it up to the brake switch so that when you press the brake it will unlock. Works great and was pretty simple to do!

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:49 PM   #14
SanitysBane

that and with the big block when u give it to much...new tq! i see now
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #15
plumbcut
california fill

bowtie's 700's give you a toggle switch to manually lock them up but they also lock up themselves.. I didnt know it was possible for the converter to lock in 1st gear. Even if you do just the toggle switch idea, you should route it thru the brake light switch so it unlocks when you brake.

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:37 AM   #16
Tom
driving is in my blood

I just got finished, had to wait all day till my hangover went away
I pulled my intake manifold off the 79 and re-set the valves using the IC-EO method one cylinder at a time. Also putting new intake and carb gaskets on. Im trying to fix the crappy idle and part throttle running of the engine, it sucks right now. Stumbles and kicks a little bit every time I just start on the gas.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:04 AM   #17
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Spent a few hours prepping the upper and lower controls arms to be powder coated. I also ordered another PST front-end kit.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:40 AM   #18
Nvbowtie

Put my door locks back in,
now I just have to find the key or I am in trouble
1988 Chevy Blazer Tahoe
Nvbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:16 AM   #19
mckpaul

Well, my 'project' truck isn't going to be anything special or a daily driver, just a second vehicle, going mainly stock. It's finally running with a freshly rebuilt 305 and a 700r4 I got out of a Suburban. Runs and drives fine, needs more work to pass inspection and get tags. Saturday I got a used exhasut system from a guy here on the board that came off a 92. Will have to take it all apart and re do it to make it work on my 84, but it has a big pancake like catalytic converter, a Flowmaster muffler (18" long), anxious to hear it) and chrome tips. Yesterday turned into 'window' day. The truck had tinted windows on the doors and sliding back glass that had turned purple and had wrinkles all in it. I took off all the tint and cleaned the glass. Then the passenger window had a spot where it would hang on the way down (power windows) Simple fix, the bottom rail attached to the glass needed to be bent slightly on one corner. The driver door window was stuck in the up position. Found that two of the four bolts holding the power assembly in had come out and the whole assembly was shifted out of place. Had to pull the armature out of the window motor and clean it and the brushes up to get enough 'umph' out of it to lower the window and unlodge the whole set up, line everything up and bolt it back like it goes. Driver window works now, but goes slow. With no AC working yet, got to have the windows working here in SE Texas (even though it has nothing to do with getting the emission stuff finished so I can get inspected). Man it sucks working on power windows.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:37 AM   #20
beaterC10

I was able to sell the rear axle out from under my old parts truck. This is the one I have been unsuccessful in giving away the last several weeks. The second guy that called bought it and didn't even haggle on the price.

All I need to do now is get the stupid thing cut loose.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:33 AM   #21
bagged81
Signals in the bumper.

Bought and installed 20's.

Oh, and I ordered a billet grill.
1936 Ford Pickup - Frame-off in progress link
1979 Chevrolet Camper Special Flatbed link

Last edited by bagged81; 08-02-2004 at 11:50 AM.
bagged81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:35 AM   #22
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged81
Bought and installed 20's.
And the pics are where?!?!?
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #23
bagged81
Signals in the bumper.

Quote:
And the pics are where?!?!?
Soon! :p
1936 Ford Pickup - Frame-off in progress link
1979 Chevrolet Camper Special Flatbed link
bagged81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:51 AM   #24
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I flushed my A/C system and put in a new (not rebuilt) compressor and replaced the orifice tube. I got it vacuumed down and filled last night, but it isn't as cold as I would like it. I'll have to see if I can get some more R134 into it.

It feels good to be working on the truck again. I have been unable to walk for the last 2 months after a couple of surgeries on my ankle, and I'm just starting to get around again. Everything went to hell during that time, of course, so I have a lot of work ahead of me this Fall...

Slonaker
Old 08-02-2004, 01:42 PM   #25
mckpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
......and replaced the orifice tube. .....
Slonaker
Just wonedering where the orifice tube is, mine is an '84 with a non-working, old, empty AC system. Will be converting to R134 soon and changing the compressor and accumulator and will need to find the orifice tube.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote