The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
PHOENIX

Damper/Balancer - Fully Installed (pics)?

Is this on all the way?

I didnt pay much attention to the one I took off.
You can see in the picture of the old one that there is a ring of grease (blue line pointing to it) about the same distance as the new one.

The picture comparing the two balances is comparing the "old" stock (right) to the "new" streetdamper (by fluid damper) (left). You can see that the ring thickness is less on the streetdamper then the stock. I did check dimensions before I installed the streetdamper. The overall depth (center hole) and ring diameter is the same. Just the ring thickness is different (not a problem).

I installed this damper using the center bolt for the bottom pulleys and the balancer. I used a spacer and some washers so it didnt bottom out in the crank and I tightened the bolt to pull the balancer on. I used a small amount of grease in the inside of the balancer and some on the crank snout. I also slightly oiled the bolt threadsto help prevent crank snout thread damage. It went on smooth and didnt take too long. The last turn on the bolt slightly turned the engine (intake off so little compression to fight).

I just need to know if this is correct or not, should it be on further?

thanks
Eddie
Old 08-02-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
PHOENIX

Somebody? Anybody?
Old 08-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Eddie,

the thickness doesn't matter. The balancer will only go so far, until it hits the crank timing gear. You pull it up until it won't go anymore and that should do it.

Best way to install the balancer is with a balancer installation tool. I think Autozone rents them. It's not a good idea to be using the bolt. If not real careful, you can strip the crank. You can use a piece of all thread and washers/nut to pull it on. This way, you are not threading the rod in the crank as it pulls. Sounds like you got it on all the way though.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
PHOENIX

I tried to get the install tool, I checked two places and they didnt have them.
So I just did it that way very carefully, by hand slowly.
I think its on all the way I was just concerned about the amount of the crank snout that isnt in the balancer.
thanks