The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
GMC AMI

Smile Attn# 68 OrangeSunshine PICS for you to view!

Here is a shot of the throttle set up for hand throttle at the pedal. Please try not to laugh to hard at my art work! OK, I hope this will help you, Mike

The cable hooks to the top eye of the added on rod, sort of like a hand brake
cable on a motorcycle hooks. I know the pic is poor quality, dim light level.
The weld area is only where the rods touch together of course. Then the cable routes up through the dash with the pull knob.
Attached Images

Last edited by GMC AMI; 08-03-2004 at 04:36 PM.
GMC AMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:51 AM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

I don't have that added-on rod. I do have a couple different types of upper superstructure attached to the pivot/firewall plate. One type is much taller than the other.
Also on your '71 GMC -- since I have a '71 Jimmy that this detail is to go into -- what position on the dash is the Throttle knob set in? Under the Light switch, or under the WIPERS?
I already have a manual choke under my wiper switch. I guess the wipers could move to the left. Just thinking out loud, here.
Thanks Mike.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-04-2004 at 04:56 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:30 AM   #3
GMC AMI

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine
I don't have that added-on rod. I do have a couple different types of upper superstructure attached to the pivot/firewall plate. One type is much taller than the other.
Also on your '71 GMC -- since I have a '71 Jimmy that this detail is to go into -- what position on the dash is the Throttle knob set in? Under the Light switch, or under the WIPERS?
I already have a manual choke under my wiper switch. I guess the wipers could move to the left. Just thinking out loud, here.
Thanks Mike.
The throttle is located under the wipers on the right. The hand choke is not through the bezel. There is a removeable tag label ( throttle ). The cable pulls the rod up and in turn pushes the foot throttle down. Mike

Last edited by GMC AMI; 08-05-2004 at 05:07 AM.
GMC AMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:34 AM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

OK. I guess I'll have to route the wipers over to the left, under the lights, since I can't move the choke. I have a throttle tag label. Also a choke tag from GSPP.
Do you have a hand choke ? And if so where is it, under the dash? Most '71s had deleted the manual choke in favor of electric or heat activated bi-metal coils [mechanical]. I'm used to them -- since I have one on my '68 stepside -- so I got a 600 cfm Carter AFB w/ a manual choke for the 350 in the Jimmy.
My printer's on the blink, so my attempted copy of your jpeg came out funny, but I get the basic idea.
Thanks.

Old 08-05-2004, 05:13 AM   #5
GMC AMI

Hi there, My truck did not come stock with hand choke, I added a holley cable
to the right of gauge bezel. Why is it you can not move choke? I thought they could be mounted almost anyplace. I can get a better PIC and send to reg. e-mail if you wish. Have a great day, Mike
Old 08-05-2004, 05:16 AM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Mike I'm gonna PM you.
I don't want to hassle with relocating the choke. It's in and set up and works Ok, so F%&ing with it is counterproductive. Throttle cable length is the issue here. It has to reach the accelerator rod. Another problem might be grabbing the wrong knob at start-up on a hung-over morning. Also, if I flip the wipers over to the left, they'll be inverted from their '68 style positions, but I could get used to it.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 08-05-2004 at 05:29 AM.