The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
kwg67

Glass Question

Geez, this is a great site. Every time I log on, somebody is asking a question about something I need to but hadn't gotten around to yet. Keep it up gang. My question of the day is... I just dragged home another truck, 72 sierra grande, a fine looking truck in her day I'm sure. I brought it home for parts but I decided that I wanted to take out the door glass as well as the tinted windshield and rear slider. Spent better part of the day stripping the truck but couldn't get the door glass out. Must be a trick to this - have it apart inside the door. Do I have to get the track off of the bottom of the glass? I don't see how I'm going to get the glass out without removing the bottom track and this doesn't look easy to me. I figure as per usual, I'm missing somthing here. Thanks.
83 Harley FLHS - Will take to my grave
kwg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

If you have the vent window assembly out there are a couple of ways to get the rollers out of the window sash.

With the window rolled up, you can remove the window regulator and manuever the regulator so that the rollers will come out of the track. It is helpfull if you have someone hold the glass up.

What I prefer to do is roll the window up, slide the window forward untill you locate the front roller at the notch in the sash. You can then wiggle the roller out of the sash. Once the front roller is out you can tip the window and remove it upward. (For this procedure the window is tipped inward when first rolling it up so that it is out of the rear track).

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
7gmc2

ohhh nooo!!!! not another gmc serria grande going up in smoke as a parts truck!!! that is the second one today that i have seen being parted out. there can't be many of these left. i hope you are building another one with it!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:51 AM   #4
kwg67

Thanks Jim, appreciate your reply. I think my problem is that I havn't removed the vent window yet. I have the rollers out of the sash. Just didn't seem to have enough room to wiggle the window out. I am guessing that once that vent window is out, I will be able to make a little more room to get the glass out.??
As for parting out the sierra grande, man really sorry I have to do this but all there was left of this baby was the tinted glass, factory rear slider, Posi rear end and a few choice interior parts. Body was completely gone so I'm afraid my 71 C10 is gonna benefit and the sierra will be laid to rest. Like I said she must have been a fine ride a few years back. There will be a moment of silence before she is hauled out of my yard.
83 Harley FLHS - Will take to my grave
kwg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:53 AM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

KWG67,

Once you get the vent out you will have a lot more "wiggle" room.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote