The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
suburban509

Custom cab trim

I've been thinking of adapting the custom cab stainless side trim to my 66 Suburban. Fenders and doors are no problem I'm sure but does anyone have the measurements from the trim pieces for the box? Both long and short box? Trying to figure out just what would work and if I would need to cut it. Has anyone out there done this? Thanks
suburban509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #2
Demmit_Hemmit's 65

Wow...........sounds Like Quite A Project..................i'm Going To A Yard Here In Peru This Week And I'll Get Some Measurements For You........................i Have A 65 Burb............i'll Let You Know...................hemmit
Demmit_Hemmit's 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
suburban509

Thanks for checking for me. While at the yard keep an eye out for the custom trim. It is available for about $500 new in a complete kit and by the time you straighten and polish it I suppose that is an ok deal but you never know where a nice set of used trim might come from. My Suburban is at the body shop now for paint work so have to make a decision soon for the trim. I am painting it 2 tone red and white so the trim makes a difference where the line will be for the 2 tone. It is a project out of control as I started 3 years ago to just make it a driver and now It is a complete restoration, leather mini van interior and a 475hp Cadillac 509 engine.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
Demmit_Hemmit's 65

Cool......................mine Started As A Favor For My Brother............he Owned It But Needed Some Money....................well To Make A Long Story Short I Ended Up With My 65............................was In Bad Shape, But With A Lot Of Time And Money It Turned Out To Be A Show Winning Truck...............................i'll Probably Be Going Out There This Weekend And I'll Take My Tape Measure With Me And My Digital Camera In Case I Find Some Trim..........................later.....hemmit
Old 09-01-2004, 06:58 AM   #5
Demmit_Hemmit's 65

I Went Out To The Yard Last Weekend And Got These Results For You................sorry It Took So Long But We've Had Lots Of Rain Here And The Yard Was Flooded....................the Front Fender And Door Trim Will Work..........................the Long Fleetside Trim Is About 11" Too Long......................it's A Little Less Than 98" Long.........the Short Fleetside Trim Is A Little Too Short By About 8"..............i Compared These Measurements To My Suburban..............looks Like The Only Choice You Have Is To Maybe Shorten The Long Fleet Trim..............i'm Not Sure If It Can Be Done But I Guess Anything Is Possible..................hemmit
Old 09-17-2004, 09:09 AM   #6
suburban509

Demmit your the best. I have not been back to this forum for awhile so apoligize that the thank you for this information is late. I still have to figure this out but I'm thinking the long trim will work when shortened. On the driver side looks like it will go in the area of the gas filler door so would have to be cut there no matter what. Nothing says it can't be 8 inches short so that is also still a possibility.