The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
cosmicbrat

Passengerside gastank rustedout... and hidden tool chests..

In months of searching for a good used passenger-side gas-tank, I must conclude that it's probably the first thing, after the fenders, to rust-out on these trucks... so I figure I should just go find and install the best gas tank I can find at the wreckers... Any one out there got any ideas what's the best tank for the job? And any ideas on building and installing hidden toolchests?

Last edited by cosmicbrat; 08-18-2004 at 12:47 AM.
cosmicbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
BaggedC10
Under construction!

Purchase a reproduction fuel tank from www.ClassicIndustries.com for $100 + shipping.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

I have them for $99.95 + shipping also. Its not in the catalog yet, but you can order it from me directly. PM me if you are interested.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #4
johnleewilson

go here: http://www.auto-gas-tanks.com/chevro...teel_fueltanks they have the cheapest tanks around that i have found i bought one for my truck it worked fine
johnleewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:04 PM   #5
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

or you can take the easy, but probably slightly more expensive way, and get it from LMC.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:18 PM   #6
stan79chevy

mts makes a plastic one for our trucks

my brother in law got one for his and has had no problems and it was only a little more than a steel one.
http://www.mtscompany.com/chevy-gmc.htm

stan

01 S-10 ZR2 extended cab
4.3/4L60E/233
3.73 gear 31" DICK CEPEK CRUSHERS
stan79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:55 PM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

If you are in Alberta, Canada -- I can give you three known good tanks, two driver's side to sell, one passenger's side to use on your truck. The second pass side tank has a pinhole in the side of it, and will leak a small amount (about 1 drip a minute) of gas out. Just come and get em, but you gotta let me know if you are in Alberta, and want them by Thursday, or I am not sure when I'll be down south by my 76 parts truck again...
Old 08-18-2004, 12:45 AM   #8
cosmicbrat

I don't have the "100 bucks plus delivery" to spend on a new tank... not these days... I generally do things with minimal cash outlay, with creative ingenuity, a ton of garage-sale tools, odds 'n ends scrap-things, and the infamous/notorious trial and error method... which too often costs me more than a new one would have...

I'm wondering if there's a tank from any other newer vehicle that'll do the job better than stock... and maybe leave enough room to hide a large custom tool & storage box... to hide all the things, that I might need on long trips, from the herds of opportunist robbers who lurk in early every second shadow in this sorry part of the world...

I'm near Winnipeg... too far away to take your generous Calgary offer... I wish I was back in delicious Calgary...
Old 08-18-2004, 12:47 AM   #9
Russell
Professional Grade

When do you need the tank by? I know a trucker who hails from Winnipeg who would be willing to bring the tank over to Winnipeg, you'd just have to pick it up from his place If we do go this route, then I'll only send you the tank you need.

Another option is a K-5 Blazer Fuel tank, which mounts where the spare mounts right now. There is a ton of space under the cab / between the frame rails and box side after you take the tank out, you could likley rig something up as far as a hidden tool box goes. It is a 31 gallon tank versus a 20 gallon (or possibly 16 gallon tank) that your truck has stock.

PS -- Try Edmonton

Last edited by Russell; 08-18-2004 at 12:53 AM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:59 AM   #10
cosmicbrat

There's no rush...
As soon as I hear from him I'll be driving to Winnipeg to pick it up...

Another thing: I just got my first set of mags... Turns out they are "unilug"...
I spent too much time fine sanding them to give up now... Now I need a set of "uniluglies"... the tire guy mentioned something about special unilug washers and wheel nuts...
Sometimes I forget to take a breath before I find I dove right in... and I get myself stung yet again... Have you got any leads on a set of cheap unilug mag wheel nuts?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:29 AM   #11
Russell
Professional Grade

Try Canadian tire, or any place that sells mags, they are very common if unilugs are what I think they are...

You just need the passenger tank correct? If so, I'll pull it off my 76 this weekend, and hold it here till Steve is in Edmonton again...
Old 08-18-2004, 12:46 PM   #12
Grim Reaper

Get a NEW Blazer 30 gallon tank for $25 and be done with it.
Your sender should fit in it.
http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/Co...Product/462301
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:27 PM   #13
bigblock73
yeller

Our trucks did come with an optional bed side tool box. I believe it was available in 73 and 74 only...but I could be wrong. I have no factual documents to back this up...but I do know they were offered on the early years.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:51 PM   #14
cosmicbrat

Much Thanks Russel...

Yes it's the passenger tank I need... I will rush to Winnipeg as soon as I hear it's there... Is there any hard to find item that you are searching for? (in any of the sciences)...

On finding those special wheel-nuts... I tried CdnTire and just about everyone else... CdnTire mounted and balanced the tires onto the mags... then they informed me that I need a set of special mounting nuts that they don't have... neither did all the shops for 30 miles around... Luckily I had an extra set of old tires...
Looks like I'm being forced to pay the 90-bucks the Winnipeg specialty shop wants for a set luglies... Looks like I'll be waiting till a set shows up at a garage sale... Dam! I hate being poor... and yet I have the data to build plazma engines to power first generation flying/floating cars... but the whole world scientific community can't even begin to fathom any of it... I tried to detail the workings of the plazma-engine, to a nuclear physicist, its output being regulatable liquid electricity...
Remote viewer parasite spies sure want this engine data... so much so that they try to suck it from my mind even when I sleep, and are opening my Yahoo account emails before I do... They get nothing, noda, zilch...
...60-seconds into the description to the nuke-physicist... his chin dropped, he turned pale, accused me of "talking in the forth dimension", stood, walked three steps, and fell flat on his face... I suppose he really tried to grasp it... He must have hung onto the concept tight, and tried to make the jump from his synthetic-reality into reality, and went unconscious before he got here...
It be impossible to relate any New to them when they fear New and Change more than they fear death... and they would fight to the death to maintain their comfortable numbed fall and peaceful quiet stagnancy...
If I could get this suppressed project rolling, I could buy all the gastanks in the world from petty cash... but then I'll have obsoleted gas... For now I sure appreciate your offer... When I'm as rich as B.Gates, I'll owe you a nice flying truck, fully loaded... with exhaust-scrubbers where the gastanks would be...

Last edited by cosmicbrat; 08-18-2004 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2004, 05:08 PM   #15
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73
Our trucks did come with an optional bed side tool box. I believe it was available in 73 and 74 only...but I could be wrong. I have no factual documents to back this up...but I do know they were offered on the early years.
From what I know it was 73, 74 and 75, but....
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:20 PM   #16
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicbrat
Much Thanks Russel...

Yes it's the passenger tank I need... I will rush to Winnipeg as soon as I hear it's there... Is there any hard to find item that you are searching for? (in any of the sciences)...

On finding those special wheel-nuts... I tried CdnTire and just about everyone else... CdnTire mounted and balanced the tires onto the mags... then they informed me that I need a set of special mounting nuts that they don't have... neither did all the shops for 30 miles around... Luckily I had an extra set of old tires...
Looks like I'm being forced to pay the 90-bucks the Winnipeg specialty shop wants for a set luglies... Looks like I'll be waiting till a set shows up at a garage sale... Dam! I hate being poor... and yet I have the data to build plazma engines to power first generation flying/floating cars... but the whole world scientific community can't even begin to fathom any of it... I tried to detail the workings of the plazma-engine, to a nuclear physicist, its output being regulatable liquid electricity...
Remote viewer parasite spies sure want this engine data... so much so that they try to suck it from my mind even when I sleep, and are opening my Yahoo account emails before I do... They get nothing, noda, zilch...
...60-seconds into the description to the nuke-physicist... his chin dropped, he turned pale, accused me of "talking in the forth dimension", stood, walked three steps, and fell flat on his face... I suppose he really tried to grasp it... He must have hung onto the concept tight, and tried to make the jump from his synthetic-reality into reality, and went unconscious before he got here...
It be impossible to relate any New to them when they fear New and Change more than they fear death... and they would fight to the death to maintain their comfortable numbed fall and peaceful quiet stagnancy...
If I could get this suppressed project rolling, I could buy all the gastanks in the world from petty cash... but then I'll have obsoleted gas... For now I sure appreciate your offer... When I'm as rich as B.Gates, I'll owe you a nice flying truck, fully loaded... with exhaust-scrubbers where the gastanks would be...

Annnyways -- I'll let you know when Steve figures he will be in Edmonton next.
If ya wanna help me out, find me a straight, rot free box, lol

Since that ain't gonna be happening, I'll just let you take the gas tank for free. If your plasma idea works out, maybe hand me a couple grand to finish the truck off
Old 08-18-2004, 10:29 PM   #17
SanitysBane

my grandpa has one of thoes side mounted tool boxes, inside of the bed on his 73 or 74, can't recall the year
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 PM   #18
cosmicbrat

"a straight, rot free box"

My first thoughts on that are to make a fibreglass plug from half-inch plywood and sawdust board... in a warm dry room... kock off a dozen steelmesh reinforced units, sell the first ten to speed shops and on ebay at insane high prices, and forget about box rust forever... Maybe the box could clip on the truck, and clip off... to be used as a duck boat... after-all it's got lots of floatation in the sides, sort of like an upsidedown catamaran... and maybe there's even a place for an engine... and a way to cover it like a touring craft... Heck! add some leatherette and sponge around the rim... a bed, a love seat, a small oak table and chairs... some good friends... a stereo, fancy lighting... a maid, a butler... a bar... Can't forget the steering wheel... and lifejackets... and potty...
A) clips on as just a box... B) is a boat box...

If I see a clean-box in my travels I'll let you know...
If you build a boat box let me know...
Fibreglassing is lots of fun, if you don't have to do it...
Old 08-19-2004, 11:09 PM   #19
Russell
Professional Grade

Hey man, the tank is junk, I took the box off my parts truck, and my cousin hit the frame while driving through the tall grass with the tractor, passenger side rear end is totalled, lol
Old 08-20-2004, 12:39 AM   #20
cosmicbrat

Thanks Russel... **** happens... Me thinks I'm gonna try Grim Reaper's Blazer tank suggestion... Thanks y'all... Wish me luck on this plazma-engine project... A couple years after I get it financed, we all get consumer model floating/flying cars...
I'm building the first engine's core, in a garden-shed... Weird how the big-things get stuffed into the mindless great toilet in infancy... like the Wrights forced to do their thing in a shack on a dirt floor, cuz the authority hat can't fathom any reality... till they have it squeezed hard in their hands and in their mouths...
If I shine a penlight into the first 1/3 of the core, a burst of weird goldish outphased laser bursts-out... I haven't got a clue what gold laser is... I know a bit of what it does... Dad shone a penlight into it, and the gold-light burst burned a couple holes clean through the back of his eye... He sure was pissed... I had warned him not to snoop on my bench...
The way things are going, seems the only way we get floating cars is after the science world catches up to me...
I'll be dead and surfing the outerside, a million years before that happens...
Now I know what the ancient pioneer scientists were up against... "the almighty mindless minority authority"... thhht! It's a wonder we got this far, alive...
On paper and in the mind's lab, this engine seems powerful enough for two-seater moon capable RV... First thing I'd do is debut is the million-mile high club... I wish the world science community would hurry up and grow up... or at least wake up... so we can all get together to raise their prehistoric low ceiling... then I could put all their prehistoric sciences to sleep in History's wake... and we could build all this new stuff, and get this new millenium rolling... and have some fun before we die...
C'mon World, Wakeup!... I found 14 layers of new Sciences in DNA's video memories... Let's build it all... while we still have breath...
So much for antique GMC truck rusty gas-tanks... It would seem the best way to eliminate rusting gas-tanks, is to obsolete the gas-tank entirely... then the air would heal... and that would help to slow our extinction, by slowing our meticulous killing of the planet's life support systems...

They won't or can't believe me that petroleum can be made into synthetic replacement organs, after I've opened the bonds of the inert elements... Too bad we're burning it all... C'mon world... Wake up Humes! This planet is not just your god forsaken litterbox!... Wouldn't yah'all rather be burnin' liquid-electricity? at a 150,000 mph...
and open-up the exhaust-scrubber bypass-vents, and light the antimatter acids in the exhaust... to make a streak of fire across the sky, so huge and bright, that it could be seen a couple planets away...
Old 08-20-2004, 01:08 AM   #21
Russell
Professional Grade

Keep us posted
Old 08-20-2004, 01:25 AM   #22
1971 Cheyenne

If anyone buys the above post, I have some land for sale in florida, for cheap!
1983 M1009 CUCV Military K5 Blazer
1981 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 dually flatbed

Last edited by 1971 Cheyenne; 08-20-2004 at 01:28 AM.
1971 Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:20 AM   #23
Grim Reaper

Drugs are bad......mmmKayyyy
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:27 PM   #24
cosmicbrat

Attitudes like that is why our Species is going no-where but down-hill... into an early extinction... 147-thousand years from now, the last humanoid on planet earth is cracking the marrow out of the bones of the second last...
Before our "industrial revolution" we had 33-million more years on this planet... I see you will never wake-up... You can't... It's just not in you to activate your dormant mind... All you've got is what you were taught by a mindless system... You believe your killer opinions are real thinking.... I'd be surprised if you two bandits have ever had a new thought on your own. You two see everything new as drug induced... so does most everyone else... At least you've got your Christanity to pull you through... Hah! Amen! I'll be selling flying cars one day, and you can just go eat your ugly putdown words... I bet you two goonies cut-up people all over the Internet... like drooling rabid-dogs that bite everything they see... You two are "Internet Terrorists"... You should see yourselves from my vantage... In your language, "Ook Ook, Ieeah Hoo!, ook ook, Awk! hoo?"
Old 08-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #25
bigblock73
yeller

cosmicbrat, you must have missed this thread
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote