The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2004, 11:03 PM   #1
glennhuff

Question control arm bushings

I'm rebuilding a disc brake /power steering front end for my 69 C20. I have everything apart in the bench, and all of my control arm bushings are shot. I was looking at them, and the wear seems to be between the bushing and the shaft. I don't understand where the control arm turns on the shaft. Does the control arm move on the bushing? That doesn't make any sense, because the control arm is just stamped guage. It doesn't seem like the bushing would turn on the shaft, since it's threaded on and torqued to insane specs. I'm confused. What is doing the moving here. Am I missing something? Please help!!!
glennhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:21 PM   #2
64fleetside

Yes, the bushing does turn on the shaft, both are made of pretty hard metal & grease keeps them from wearing. Brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:42 AM   #3
jlmtrout

The upper shaft is held stationary by two nuts that secure it to the frame, and the lower shaft has a locating dowel in it and is secured by two u-bolts. The bushings allow your suspension to travel as you go over bumps and stuff. The bushings aren't that hard to remove if you have the right 3/4" drive sockets and a 3-4 foot cheater bar. It's easier to break them loose while still attached to the frame. I replaced mine this Spring, took about a hour taking my time, to replace the uppers on one side. Hope this helps. Good luck and keep on truckin'.......Jerry
600 cfm Edelbrock,Small Comp Cams retro-roller cam and roller rockers,9:1 cr, headers, HEI,Old Air a/c, 72 power disc brakes w/stainless lines, 3.42 gear,T-56 6-speed, original paint(what's left of it). Dakota Digital Dash
jlmtrout is offline   Reply With Quote