The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2004, 12:33 PM   #1
Gary

Where to go to learn about cars?

Anyone who has read my threads knows I don't know jack about the finer points of mechanics, where is a good place to go to learn at least a good grounding in auto mechanics? Maybe some courses at a local tech college was my idea, is there other ways of learning how these old trucks work?

I'd like to begin rebuilding my old truck but it's pretty obvious that paying mechanics to do all the work and body shops to do all the body work is going to cost a bloody fortune, plus I have always liked cars just never got to learn about them much.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
n737nc

Where do you live?

There are probably several courses at your local community college. I don't know how good they will be, but it's an option. Otherwise you could go here if you have the cash www.samracing.com

Nick
n737nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:56 PM   #3
n737nc

By the way, I just scrolled through your pictures that you have listed in your sig. You really need to rake your yard
n737nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:03 PM   #4
71Chevy4-speed
Speed Limit = Floorboard

Well not to sure how fine your talking but I found, www.musclecarclub.com to be of help, scroll down to the bottom end and it explains most of the operations. If your really wanting to know your probably right to go check out a class at a tech college, in fact its kinda concidence cause I was gonna go check on a rebuilding class at the local college where I live today...lol.
71Chevy4-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #5
Jeremy_5
Truck addict

Taking classes at your local community college would be your best bet. The community college near me offers a bunch of courses, and at $11 dollars per unit its hard to beat. I just enrolled at Wyotech and if you want to go to a tech school be prepared to pay ALOT, it is $22,000+ for me to attend Wyotech. There is also a automotive restoration college in Kansas at Mcpherson College, but it is aslo very expensive and hard to get into.
Jeremy_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
Blue68

Some things are just a matter of ripping it apart and learning as you go. Things like body work, welding, and engine/tranny/rearend building can be learned with this method but require special knowledge/skills/experience that require someone elses input to learn. These are areas to find a real good friend to teach you or go to a class.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:23 PM   #7
Jeremy_5
Truck addict

I forgot to mention, buy books. There alot of good books that will take you through the basics, they take along time to read but if you really want to learn read every book you can.
Jeremy_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:17 PM   #8
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I would also recommend a local vo-tech or community college. Another possibility is to befriend a retired mechanic. One who would be happy to give you advice and instruction while you do the work.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:10 PM   #9
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
By the way, I just scrolled through your pictures that you have listed in your sig. You really need to rake your yard
We just had it logged - 14 loads of logs were cut down.

Now we're waiting on the man with the big trackhoe (?) to come and pull up the most annoying stumps, then we're going to dump 10 more loads of fill dirt and smooth it out (already dumped 15 loads!) and then about 5 loads of top soil and then it's seed or sod time (seed probably daggum sod is expensive).

Hopefully by this time next year I'll be *****ing and complaining about having to cut the yard

I was looking thru Drake State Tech (North Alabama - Huntsville) and they have a whole mechanic certification (36 hours) and mechanic degree (60 hours). If they'll just let me take the meaty courses I might just do that. Unless I come across another option.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

It all depends on what you plan to do with the knowledge you want to gain here.
If you just want to fix up your old truck, and it is not a daily driver, then go buy some tools, and read a few books, and get a couple magizine subscriptions (car craft, hot rod...ect) And then just start tackling small things. Have some one that you can call and bail you out if you get in over your head...or come here if you get scared on re-asembly.
That's my view on it anyways.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
Gary

No it's not a daily driver, I was planning on tackling the interior first, I have new carpet, new chrome sills for the door, and some other chromed parts, also want to change the steering wheel (factory one is shot) to a smaller wheel, new dash pad, and I'd like to go ahead and do something about the headliner while I'm tearing it up.

Problem with the motor stuff is I'm not even sure what tools I need, I know I don't really have what I need now. And the projects I have for the motor aren't real low end things - intake/carb/headers, there's a few things I CAN do, I could probably get the new valve covers and seals on there myself, new plugs, new wires, probably new rotor, new air filter, radiator flush (it's kinda nasty looking in there) that's pretty no brainer stuff.

Then I want to put on lowering springs for the front and "something" for the rear (leaf springs back there and most of the "easy" lowering seems to be coil spring based). New rims and tires.

Then the body work - new paint, new windshield front and back, the door windows are a rattling mess (new felt and rubber I guess).

THEN the fun begins new stereo, LCD/DVD in the glove box (hidden with the door closed), haven't figured out an easy way to put any decent subwoofers in the cab yet, I'd like to find one of those "short cabs" (dunno the name) that sit behind the cab and are about 2 feet wide and you take out the rear window and use a big rubber flange gasket deal so you can reach in and out of the little cab deal with no window in the way. Those used to be real popular 10 or 12 years ago but I can't remember seeing any of these in use or for sale anywhere lately.

Oh and fix the A/C it has factory air (looks like anyway I suppose it could be add-on maybe) and I'd like that running.

Oughta keep me busy for the next decade or so I guess.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #12
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Definitely take the CC course on basic auto maintenance and they will introduce you to all the tools and basic car/truck components and how to service them. There are some great books too that will get you through the basics. You might try a used book store to find books on truck and auto maintenance. Get the free LMC catalogs for great drawings on how all the body components go together. I think you are on the right path. Good luck.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote