The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
Bill W

DIY airconditioning

I'm replacing the AC compressor in my 91 suburburan due to the fact it seized up. Anybody out there with experience?

I'm putting in a rebuilt compressor, new dryer and new orfice tube. Then refilling with 134.

Before I bolt on the new components do I need to flush some kind of solvent through the lines?

Bill/91 4x4 suburban, and 78 4x4 shortbed chevy.
Bill W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
Greenlee

I'm no expert, but I did mine myself too and its working pretty good. I didn't flush the system with solvent, but I blew air back and fourth through the system until nothing much was coming out. If you use 134 you will need a kit that comes with the new connectors and o-rings. I ended up using something called Freeze 12 which uses the old fittings. I also ended up using a new compresor because several people warned me against using a rebuilt unit.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I just replaced my compressor with a new unit about 3 weeks ago. It was only $215. The rebuilt was $100 less, but they have a reputation, as Greenlee said, of not lasting long.

I'm no expert either, but everyone I talked to said that I should flush mine to give the new compressor the best chance at a long life. A friend who is very experienced suggested that I pull the orifice tube before I start, and see if it was covered with debris. He said it acts like a filter, and is a good indicator of whether or not the old compressor left anything in the system.

Mine was clean, but I decided to flush it anyway. It allows you to make a fresh start with the right amount of the correct oil. A flush gun cost me $36 locally, and the flush was $12 per quart or $30 per gallon. It was one of those tools that I figured I would buy eventually anyway, so I went ahead and did it.

Slonaker
Old 08-20-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
mckpaul

The oil thing is a question I've always had too. Often wondered if you're suppose to charge some oil in the system on a rebuild or does it come with enough already in the compressor?

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:59 AM   #5
Beyond

I would highly recommend it if the compressor is bad. I did the exact same thing you're doing on my dually a couple weeks ago and we got all kinds of crap out of the condensor. The flush chemicals aren't cheap, but it is worthwhile if you expect that new compressor to have half a chance of living. Chances are you have some metal in your system if the compressor is shot.
1987 454 Dually Crew Cab
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote