The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Sub under seat?

Has anyone built a box to run a sub under the stock bench seat? I plan to run a single Blaupunkt 10" or 12" and it appers there is enough space to put a box under there.
Has anyone seen one done this way.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

It CAN be done, but it would be best done in fiberglass if at all possible. Id say there is about a cubic foot down there, but I dont think its gonna sound very good. Thats a very thin box. The drivers mounting depth you have pictured there would work, but its not a accousically sound shape, gonna get some wierd resonances. Behind the seat is your best bet without going blow-thu style.

Single cab trucks with bench seats are basically torture to design a good sounding sub enclosure for. You can have loud, but its really not too clean of a sound IMO.

But anyways, yeah its doable. But I dunno if the sound would be what your after. (can you tell im a sq man, not a spl man?)
Old 08-21-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I haven't pulled the seat to take any measurments yet. Looking at the space below the seat I think it would work. It has a recessed are in the middle that "might" allow enough airspace. I even thought about a loaded box but that would be a real stretch.

Yeah I know the easy way would be put a box behind the seat. I plan to do that too, but I need the space for storage. I am looking at putting a changer, and the amp(s) in the box, and 4x6's at each end firing forward.....

I have "been there, done that" with the SPL thing. Now I just want good clean SQ as well....
Old 08-22-2004, 01:01 AM   #4
SanitysBane

how much are thoes subs? the 12s.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 03:16 AM   #5
plumbcut
california fill

with a conventional subwoofer, id say its pretty much impossible to put a sub down there, i couldnt even fit my amps, and can barely fit my CD case down there.. If something rolls under there its a real PITA for me to reach my hand in there. There just isnt a lot of space... This is on a 1977 K-series though.. other years may be different??

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:43 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbcut
....This is on a 1977 K-series though.. other years may be different??pc
PC mine is a 77 too, but not a K. Isn't the hump taller on a K series?
These speakers only require a 2" mounting depth, but of course they need airspace too. I'm going to take some measurements today and see what it looks like. I may have to go behind the seat, but I really don't want to....
Old 08-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitysBane
how much are thoes subs? the 12s.
Suggested Retail Price on the 12's is $449.95 and $399.95 on the 10's. They aren't cheap but if they do what I need them to I don't care. Besides that's "suggested retail". I have a couple of friends that can get me a better deal.....
Old 08-22-2004, 12:32 PM   #8
SanitysBane

so the subs have finally come out for sale? i've been searching around and coudln't find anyone that has them at all
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:23 PM   #9
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

well... consider that your gonna lose 3/4" on every side with the measurements. If your lucky Id guess you might be able to get .5 cubic feet out of 1 side. A well braced box with a nice 10" would sound quite nice with .8-1.0 cubic ft. Im not too sure the sq you'd get connecting the 2 boxes. The hump is pretty big considering everything.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:42 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitysBane
so the subs have finally come out for sale? i've been searching around and coudln't find anyone that has them at all
I haven't verified that they are available. I just "assumed" that they were. I'm going to make a call later to see if I can find them....
Old 08-22-2004, 05:18 PM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lf-
well... consider that your gonna lose 3/4" on every side with the measurements. If your lucky Id guess you might be able to get .5 cubic feet out of 1 side......
That's pretty good guessing. I too some crude measurements with the seat still in, and came up with .64 of space. Your saying "per side" though. I'm talking about the area in the middle between the humps only.

According to Blaupunkts site a .4 cu.ft box will net a 48 hz output, and a .6 cu.ft box will net a 46 hz output. These numbers are for a sealed box.

It looks like the only way to find out for sure is build the box and see what it sounds like.....
Old 08-22-2004, 05:44 PM   #12
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

yeah, the area that dips down is what I was guessing. I say get some real sq and build a nice ported (or vented) setup behind the seat that will easily hold the amps and a changer no problem. With subs with a mounting depth that slim you wont even have to move the seat.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yeah that would be the best way to go. Problem is I never do anything normal. I am trying to find a place to store a jack and a few other things. I really want to use some of the space behind the seat for that.

I guess I need to go buy the jack and other items to see if I can get all of it to fit behind the seat. If this rain would just stop....
Old 08-22-2004, 07:14 PM   #14
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

you can go with 10s behind the seat, especially for SQ. A sealed box is best for SQ and sealed boxes are supposed to be smaller volume than ported, and most 10s need little Ft^3. IF i do subs, which i doubt, id go for three 8s or two 10s. But i'm definately SQ over SPL
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:19 PM   #15
plumbcut
california fill

you can get the best of both worlds (SPL and SQ) with a smaller sub, in a sealed enclosure.. These are my findings. I never liked the sound of a 10" or larger sub. They rattle the neighbors cars but thats about it. Inside a small cab like our trucks have, a couple of 8's will rip. 3 or 4 8" subs would deafen

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:52 AM   #16
landpro00

Single 12" Fosgate HE2

I used a single 12" Fosgate sub. mounted behind the rear seat and cut through middle of seat in mine. I did all the work myself and it was not a simple task but think it turned out pretty good.

Pretty sure a 12" sub wouldn't fit under the seat. Mine wouldn't, but it's a high end Fosgate with a minimum mounting depth of 6 3/16"( plus you have to allow another 1.5" for box materials).
Attached Images

Last edited by landpro00; 08-28-2004 at 12:55 AM.
landpro00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:06 AM   #17
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

yeah my cousin had three 8s waaay back in the day in his prelude, and they went KA BOOM BOOM!!! most people underestimate 8's. Hell, you should here the ported 6.5s in my shelf system pushed by the 140 x 2 amp through 6 ohms. I can't turn it up much past 12 before the walls rattle
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
Old 08-28-2004, 01:17 AM   #18
landpro00

My 12 sounds very good too, crisp and clear. No rattle or vibration either since I lined the back wall and sides with Dynamat.

Had 2 10's in it previously but they wouldn't go low enough to reproduce some of the bass notes. Metallica sounds much better and crisper now, just need to add a stiffening cap.
landpro00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:41 AM   #19
cochino12
It followed me home?

[QUOTE=N2TRUX]Has anyone built a box to run a sub under the stock bench seat? I plan to run a single Blaupunkt 10" or 12" and it appers there is enough space to put a box under there.
Has anyone seen one done this way.....QUOTE]

What is the reason for putting them under the seat? A sub that needs that little mounting depth would be very easy to hide behind the seat. With the blazer I am worried about taking the top off and having the subs visible so I am going to build a fake floor and then basicly build a grill that fits over the entire box covered in carpet so you cant even tell they are there, and I can still throw stuff in the back without damaging the subs. Man I really didnt explain that well did I? Anyway you could do the same thing and wouldnt have to move the seat forward.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #20
SCOTI

[QUOTE=cochino12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Has anyone built a box to run a sub under the stock bench seat? I plan to run a single Blaupunkt 10" or 12" and it appers there is enough space to put a box under there.
Has anyone seen one done this way.....QUOTE]

What is the reason for putting them under the seat? A sub that needs that little mounting depth would be very easy to hide behind the seat. With the blazer I am worried about taking the top off and having the subs visible so I am going to build a fake floor and then basicly build a grill that fits over the entire box covered in carpet so you cant even tell they are there, and I can still throw stuff in the back without damaging the subs. Man I really didnt explain that well did I? Anyway you could do the same thing and wouldnt have to move the seat forward.

The reason for putting them under the seat is 1)free up easily accessible storage space behind the seat; 2)keep things stealthy (out of sight, of of thieves hands); keep appearances deceivingly stock.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:01 PM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
The reason for putting them under the seat is 1)free up easily accessible storage space behind the seat; 2)keep things stealthy (out of sight, of of thieves hands); keep appearances deceivingly stock.
We have a winner! Yeah that pretty much sums it up. I plan to chunk the current non-working P.O.S. jack from under the hood. I am going to see if a 88-98 GM truck jack will fit behind the seat so I need space for that. I also want storage for some other ideas I have.

I will probably have to build a box that will hold a single sub behind the seat. By the time I get the additional insulation on the floor that I plan to run and include the thickness of the box material there won't be enough space....
Old 08-28-2004, 11:06 PM   #22
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

dont feel bad N2TRUX, i asked for and got a set of Pioneer TSW34C 12s for my b day last year, and never heard them play a single boom. i sold them for value minus the shipping my parents paid. I'm just too proud to push the seat forward any
Cardomain of the Accord