The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
mokie
Mokie

Fenders and tub not aligning HELP.

I just put the body on the frame w/cherry picker two girls pushing the cherry picker myself and another guy lifting the back end of the blazer. There was also two other guys helping with placement of the body. It is all on and loosely tightened . About 15 min. from after bolting it on to the cherry picker and placing it on the frame. I tried a fork lift before that was a waist of $200.00 dollars and it bent the out of my old body. Now making that into a trailer w/the tub. Could of spent the money on purchasing the cherry picker instead of borrowing it.

MY REAL QUESTION IS:

The body is not lining up w/fenders. The top of the fender is touch the door and the bottom is to far away from the door, this is happening on both sides. I measured from the corner (by tailgate) to the opposite side by the beginning of the tub. They are off one says 103" and the other 102 1/2". If anyone can help with this seriously. All of the parts going on to it are OEM (that's original right?). After I align the body a friend will help me with the wiring and brake's and I'm ready to start "MOKIE" up. Very anxious as you can see.

Seen a thread saying that we are not detailed so here it goes. I purchased heavy duty chains and long bolts w/washers from Home Depot about $30 for all of it. 2 Chains length was 4 feet each and 8 long bolts w/washers. Measured the length that I needed to connect the cherry picker to the chain. Then I bolted them to the seat screw holes, which made a loop. 4 connections per chain.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT THANKS MUCH.
mokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
donkey69
JB-80 "Twice as Good"

Do you still have your top on?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:28 PM   #3
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Do you have rockers on? How do the doors line up with the bedsides?
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:37 PM   #4
Huck

Alignment is a process of putting things in place. First off, your tub need to be sitting on correct mounting pads----rear floor use the thin ones. then the front of the bed floor has some thinker ones etc. Once you have the tub sitting on the rubber mounts, then the doors need to be mounted so that the edge is straight between the door and the rear quarter. This is key!! Your body lines on the outside should be nice and straight. Best to do this with your hardtop on and bolted in place. Assuming your rocker boxes are good and the front firewall/front door pilar are correctly in place, then you can go to the fenders. Your Radiator support needs to be sitting on it's mounting rubber and then you can put your fenders in place. They are adjustable to some extent but the final adjustment is often the shimming of the tub mount just behind the seats. The factory build books talks to this in it's deatil or build. Every one is a little different and even side to side could have different number of shims. By shimming the tub a bit higher, you can give yourself plenty of room to align fenders if necessary. Just remember that the critical piece is the tub rear quarter to the doors. That might keep you out of trouble.
Good luck--Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
mokie
Mokie

Donkey 69, no the top has been off for sometime.

Gee Emm, yes the rockers are still on. If I look along the bedside the fender (towards the lights) stick up a little but lines up close. As for the bottom of the fender not even close.

Huck, thanks for the info. I put on the doors when the tub was on a wooden piece of wood. I had to bend the front part up to put the doors on, but now that I know I will try it when I get home tonight. I will also send picture's tomorrow to let you know what it looks like.
mokie is offline   Reply With Quote