The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
Tonn

56 Gmc

Wondering what axles to put under my 56 gmc 1/2 ton stepside. Will have 383 engine, th400, and 4x4 transfer case. Not sure what year and make of axles would fit best width wise. Had dimensions from old axles (NAPCO) but misplaced them. Want new drivetrain to be pretty stout. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
Mudder

I know guys that have used Chevy axles for older trucks but they do stick out some. Maybe Scout..... Don't know really much about other trucks.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:04 AM   #3
wildwood

Toyota diffs

Might want to check the dimentions of a Toyota setup. These little diffs are pretty strong for they're size. THey ussually come with nice low gears too! They use 6 bolt rims same as chev so that leaves a lot of options there. However if your going bigger than 33s I would just stick a normal 80's chev setup under it. In my opinion old trucks look cool with big tires sticking out, but maybe that's just me. In any case I would expect to have to weld new perches. I'm don't think the frame rails are the same width on something that old. Can we see a pic of this old girl? Was it a 4x4 from the factory?