The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
69sixpackbee

Should I Change The Rear Leaf Springs

After driving 3000+ miles on vacation with my new suspension setup I am getting some "wandering" and although not excessive it does tend for me to work at keeping the truck easier to drive. I never really noticed the problem before with my other camper which was about the same weight and even higher. I rebuilt the front end, upper and lower shafts/bushings, idler/pitman arm, sway bushings and realigned by a very reputable shop..one I used to work at owned by my best friend!. I added a Rancho steering stabilizer, Rancho 9000's on all four corners, Firestone air bags with on-board controller, Hellwig rear swaybar. I have the Rancho's set 7 front-9 rear. 40 PSI in the bags fully loaded and the whole rig is very level. I notice, however, that the truck and camper lean to the left (driver's side) and the suspension is loaded more on that side (measured 1 1/4" difference in height from side to side at spring perch to frame) and the camper is loaded equally. There is almost a full tank of fuel in the saddle tank (20 gals.=160lbs+-) but I don't really think it should make that much difference in ride height. I never really noticed this before. I took the camper off last nite to work on changing the cab cushions and am contemplating throwing another set of springs underneath it. There is a '71 GMC C-30 in the local yard with a nice set of springs. I was going to cut those off of the wreck, minus the top overload leaf and bolt those on my truck. I used to have Hellwig constant-rate overloads on it before and it drove like a cement truck without a load! It was bone-jarring to say the least. That is why I put on the bags and took the OL's off. My truck has 7 leaves, 2 1/2" wide and the wreck has 6 but they are thicker. Carrying the weight is no problem now but it seems to "wobbly" to me. I know with that rear swar bar on it once it leans a bit it wants to go straight right away! Any suggestions?
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #2
neonlarry

Well a couple of things come to mind one is that 1¼" ride height difference is a lot. You could have a broken leaf (did you take the spring pack apart when you rebuilt the suspension?). Also why if you have airbags is there a difference in ride height? I thought thats what air bags were for. Was this ride height difference present when you installed the sway bars? If not the sway bars are now preloaded and could cause the truck to pull to one side. They should be installed at ride height and adjusted (by shiming the spacers) so they have no preload.
One other thing when you got it aligned did you have the camper on? did you get a printout of the alignment specs? If so what was the caster and toe readings?
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
69sixpackbee

Good thoughts, Larry. First of all, I did not mention that I measured it with equal pressures in the bags. I can inflate and straighten no problem. I know the camper is pretty damn evenly loaded and it bothered me that I had to have such a difference in the pressure readings to affect change. On the swaybar note, I installed it with it unloaded. The links are at a fixed height so adjustability is non-existant. After the camper was in place I did pull one side and it was loaded but by no means excessive. I was able to push it back on the link and reattach the urethane bushings and acorn nut. It was aligned without the camper. The specs allowed for a "loaded" correction to the front end geometry. One thing that popped into mind was the fact I am using two different tires and load ratings by two separate manufacturers. Maybe I can correct the wandering by virtue of swapping tires but I am still unsure of the spring loading.
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:30 PM   #4
neonlarry

I don't know what the end links look like on your rear bar on mine you can just get or make different length links so there is no preloading. Can you get a pic of how the rears are attached? On the fronts if your attach the frame brackets first, then attach the lowest end on the bar to its lower control arm, then if needed make and put shims between the bushing bracket on the control arm on the other side to fit.
I would still go with a crack out from the center hole in one of the leaves on the low side or maybe just old age.
Do you know your front toe measurement? Factory range is 1/8"-1/4". You will have less wander if it is on the high side.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote