The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Am I the only "Hot Rodder" here?

I spend a lot of time on this board, and I have come to a conclusion....

It seems like me and Ratrod67 are the only guys on here building Hot Rods. I don't mean fast trucks, because there are plenty here. I don't mean heavily modified trucks either, because we have plenty of those too.

Ratrod is doing flat black primer, stock wheels with dog dish hub caps, and a mean little small block with period corrct parts on it.

Myself, it's Cragar SS wheels, Clay Smith cam sticker, big block with two 4 barrels, tach on the steering column, etc...

We're going for the gritty non refined, rough around the edges, fast trucks. Carburetors, vintage engine dress up parts, old school wheels, just like I saw running around town around 1977 to 1985. I'm building the truck that my high school heros drove while I was messing with Volkswagens because I was dirt poor.

Is there anybody else out there? I'm interested in old school trucks only, not your other projects. I don't want to waste Josh's server space with pictures of O/T projects. Hell, I'm building a gasser and a V8 S-10 right now too, but it's not appropriate for here.

Let me see a show of hands (and pictures too) of your old school flavored hot rod trucks.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
milner

V8 S-10?! Me too! Along with all the other trucks I have going now anyway.
milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
Primered_69

AS evidenced by my post about the seventies that the truck I am into right know too. I am so stoked after the texas board meet that I want to go right at it. I want it to look period correct but not ratrod style. Like what you are building an old fashioned well thought out hot rod. Like I would ride in with my dad when I was a kid cruising Trinity park on Sunday afternoons and thinking we were the coolest people on the planet in an old GTO or his '55 or his 1967 chevy truck.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
68 Stepside
huh?

I'm going with black primer on my 68 stepside. Running vette rallies, dropping it 2.5 in the front, and 4 in the rear. I'm running a mild 406 with headers and glasspacks as well. The only mods this one is gonna get otherwise is a full set of autometer phantoms in the dash.
Attached Images

Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
vtblazer

That's what I want to do when the swb 4x4 is done...I'm already looking for a candidate truck to use anybody looking to sell?
Hoping to find a big block/short bed/fleet
Old school is way cool (no rhyme intended) been keeping an eye on what you guy's have been doing. :p nice work.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
Burnsman
Chevy Freak

hot rods

I'll shoot a picture of my 67 longbed tomorrow. I call it project old school. Painted 8" steelie's, 500 hp solid cammed small block, lowered slightly, t-10 4 speed, cal custom valve covers, etc. I love the old style hot rods. Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of pro streets and I started building a bagged truck, but sometimes the basics are just plain cool.
73 Camaro, 496
67 RS Camaro, 406
64 Chevelle, 588
71 Nova, 565
67 Camaro, 461
Burnsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

well i dont have pics yet but after going to speed week at bonneville ive pretty much decided to build my 72 burb that way...old skool/ratrod...there were so many cool cars and trucks done up that way im acutally going to sell my 71 4x4 (the truck i said id never sell) to help raise cash for the project.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:59 PM   #8
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

I'm thinking of going "rat-style" with my '72.
My only concern is the interior. The truck is blue and white now w/blue interior. I don't really want to gut it to change the interior color. I was thinking of leaving the blue inside and incorporating some pinstripes on the out-side in the same color.....? Maybe some black suade pinstripes inside....?
Anyhow, no period correct small block.......514" Caddy, 'Vette style ralleys and very little chrome. Probably do some drop spindles and bag the rear.
My objective is to build a truck that looks cool, is fast as h3ll and that I'm not afraid to drive anywhere.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
dubie

Do I fit into this category??

I'm running a freshly rebuilt 350 that is pushing close to 300hp, smoke stax, suede black with flames, mexican blanket seat cover, piston head shifter, flat black ralleys, blue dot tail lights, peep mirrors, and an ol OOGA horn

Oh and I'm gonna drop the front end 2" and then install dual beer keg gas tanks under the flatbed. And a set of flame throwers for the stax
Attached Images

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795

Last edited by dubie; 08-26-2004 at 10:26 PM. Reason: I kept forgetting something
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:31 PM   #10
Stanford
WILLY FOR PRESIDENT!!

I want to do a 49-52 chevy 2 door sedan Ol'Skool style. Also if I don't ever sell my '67 someday it to will become and Ol'SKool project.

'67 C/10 FOR SALE!! $600, runs, strait grill, good parts, or beater truck
'68 GMC K25, 4x4, current project
'71 Custom/10, Crate 350, My Baby!!
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:37 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Board member Beatnik Bandit has a real neat old school hot rod truck.

I love those turbine wheels. He runs 4.11 gear with no O.D. too!
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 PM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie
Do I fit into this category??

I'm running a freshly rebuilt 350 that is pushing close to 300hp, smoke stax, suede black with flames, mexican blanket seat cover, piston head shifter, flat black ralleys, blue dot tail lights, peep mirrors, and an ol OOGA horn

Oh and I'm gonna drop the front end 2" and then install dual beer keg gas tanks under the flatbed. And a set of flame throwers for the stax
where did you get mexican blankets all the way up there?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 PM   #13
dubie

"We're going for the gritty non refined, rough around the edges, fast trucks. Carburetors, vintage engine dress up parts, old school wheels, just like I saw running around town around 1977 to 1985. I'm building the truck that my high school heros drove while I was messing with Volkswagens because I was dirt poor. "

That is just the reason we built the 72 in the fashion that suited me the best. I built this truck to drive everyday and something that appeals to me. The locals seem to like it to. We get a ton of waves and thumbs up and yelling " nice truck" makes you feel so proud of all the work that went into building it

Old 08-26-2004, 10:43 PM   #14
dubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG
where did you get mexican blankets all the way up there?
My brothers brought it back from Mazatlan a few years back. Best seat cover I've ever had

Old 08-26-2004, 10:44 PM   #15
BtnkBndt
Pennyless Fool

Damn that shiney paint. Offy intake, chromed Chevy script valvecovers, dished breather, Turbine wheels. Got a vintage chrome column mount sweep tach (no name?) in my tool box I need to install.

Lots of plans which includes interior change to tuck and roll throughout. Haven't done squat to the engine as far as internals yet. Planning a single four tunnel but got to put together a block to sit it on first. Also want to drop it a bit keeping the raked stance.

67 Short Step
283/TH400/4.11

Last edited by BtnkBndt; 08-27-2004 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Nobody gonna take my car....
BtnkBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:49 PM   #16
CHEVYE
my gas saver

mine is flat black too. i`m only 26 years old and have had em that way since i was 16. i just prefer them that way. back then i couldn`t afford anything painted nice, now i just plain like it, and it`s an easy d.i.y. too. i`ve had 3 v8 s10`s and a slammed pro street 510 horse 66 chevy 2 (my favorite car) i had to sell my car to pay down on my house and it just about killed me. i love these trucks the most though and sit here about 11 hours a day at work, you`re not alone here.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:52 PM   #17
CHEVYE
my gas saver

btw, that piston shifter of dubies is definetally too cool.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:55 PM   #18
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Ratrod is doing flat black primer, stock wheels with dog dish hub caps, and a mean little small block with period corrct parts on it.
Actually, a period perfect rod would have an old flathead V-8 with a couple Stombergs, maybe even a flathead blower and a pair of Ardun heads. Though I've never painted any of my cars a flat color, I still consider myself a true hotrodder. All of my cars I've built 100% myself in my own garage from the frame up. I build the engines, do the wiring, interior, paint and body, all of the mods, and even set up the suspensions (a lot of cutting and welding).
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:57 PM   #19
dubie

hehe thanks bud. My neighbour gave me a piston from a 5hp briggs and stratton for that. I then gave it to the father in law who in turn gave it to a machinist buddy and he did all the fitment work on it for me. That small Hurst shifter is coming out over the winter and we are fabricating a long rat shifter for it that will be as high as the dash then the piston will sit on top of that

Old 08-26-2004, 10:58 PM   #20
68 Stepside
huh?

Randy....you make me jealous every time you post a pic of your rods'..... Maybe I should should truck my 68 down there and have you paint it...if I ever get that far I still think you should have kept the '46 (or was it '47? I can never remember!!!)
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:25 PM   #21
hotrodtroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy70C-10
Actually, a period perfect rod would have an old flathead V-8 with a couple Stombergs, maybe even a flathead blower and a pair of Ardun heads. Though I've never painted any of my cars a flat color, I still consider myself a true hotrodder. All of my cars I've built 100% myself in my own garage from the frame up. I build the engines, do the wiring, interior, paint and body, all of the mods, and even set up the suspensions (a lot of cutting and welding).
Now that,s what HOT RODDIN' is all about. Building it yourself, your style and your ideas, by your hands.

"It's o.k. to dream about what you want to do, until you start doing what you are meant to do." Line from "The Rookie"
hotrodtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:35 PM   #22
Primered_69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy70C-10
I understand what you are saying, however, I think TxFirefighter was talking about a later "period perfect" for a truck. It would look kinda goofy putting an old flathead v8 in a truck or a couple of Strombergs. That's why I am going to try to build a period correct early seventies truck (hot rod)
Old 08-26-2004, 11:50 PM   #23
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I guess I'm building more of a sleeper???
Intake, carb, heads, cam, long tube headers and loud exhaust. A posi rear end. Stock plain rims (maybe cragers later), and the stock paint job.
No chrome, no brushed aluminum, no pink or yellow spark plug wires, no fancy interior. Basically nothing that looks good. If it's not functional, I don't need it. If I can get it "plain jain" for cheaper and it works just as good, I'll take it.
The only thing that will say this isn't a p.o.s. is the lump lump idle and the twin black tire marks left on the pavement.
I want people to talk $h*t about my truck when it's sitting in the parking lot. But when I hit the key, slap it into D, and floor it, I want to beat their little rice burner.
Basically, my truck will look the exact same now as it does five years from now. It will be the "internals" that will be "different" after five years.
Todd
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:26 AM   #24
Hunter
Lovin' Arizona Since 1961

DUDE, Whatchoo Talkin' 'bout??!?

Man, you are NOT alone! I never heard anything more boring than 2 guys debating the correct air cleaner sticker at a box-stock Chevy meet. YAAAAAWNNN! I have an old biker-California-beatnik (I'm talkin' OLD) friend that uses the term "Kemp" and that's a 50's 60's term for street rod, COOL, modified ANYTHING but stock cruiser. Last time I saw him he wuz driving a mid 50's Merc' with fixed front wheel covers (very cool effect), low rear skirts and a pale yellow and black paint scheme. It did have a 5.0 FI Ford motor, but hey! It was reliable and NICE!!!
It don't have to be all jacked up in the rear to be cool! I LOVE the lowered stuff (not too low, I'm a WAY old guy at 45 - Eisenhower was Prez when I was born ferchrisake!). Anyway, I'm looking for those woodpecker-with-the-cigar stickers for my truck like I saw here (whose truck wuz that??!!) It would be a great tattoo too!
I do like rallyes better than baby-moons, but that's just me. Hell, I'm so old RALLYES are retro!!!
Hot-rod is *****in'. Stock is nice and all but it sure makes me sleepy...zzzzzzzzzz. Uh, HEY, so we're workin' on making our old trucks as cool as the checkbook (and the financial director of 25 years) will allow. Show your flames!!! H.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:42 AM   #25
hambone1958

I building mine in the "Hot Rod" style. As a matter of fact we modeled it after an article in 1972 Hot Rod magizine called Jumpin Jimmy. Big Block Holley carb dual point dist. headers turbo 400 with a shift kit. 12bolt posi 3:73 gears. I want it to look good and scare people when i stand on it. By the way check out my under coating on the cab. Let me know what you think.