The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2004, 11:13 PM   #1
roj2323

Question To chrome or not to chrome

Hey all,
Well here’s my dilemma. I currently own a 71 which I am currently disassembling for rodstoration. In the time between when I bought the truck and when I started disassembly I spent countless hours going through catalogs, surfing this site, going to car shows, and talking to old timers gathering ideas. Anyway my question is this: should I chrome the bumpers, inner wheel wells, engine parts and other odds and ends or should I go with painted bumpers, exc. and go with the chrome that came with the truck?

To shed a little more light on the question I’m painting the truck indigo blue metalic (03 Chevy trailblazer blue) keeping the white top and converting the bed from a steel floor to a curly maple.

Anyway if you have chromed inner fenders I would love to see a pic. I am really having a hard time picturing them. Also would a hugger orange engine look odd against the blue paint? What color should I paint the engine?

Thanks,
OnDrew,
Winfield, IL
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

I remember seeing chromed inner fenders in the latest LMC catalog. I don't remember the price but you could probably get them cheaper from them as opposed to going to a local chromer. Chrome work is getting very expensive since the EPA cracked down on them for improper disposal and storage of hazardous materials. It put many of the small shops out of business.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
roj2323

yea lmc originaly had them at $300 each but recently droped them to $200. however i just found out that gmcpaul's has them for $159!

ondrew
p.s. still looking for pictures
p.s.s. check out gmcpauls his prices on some items are awsome!
Old 08-27-2004, 01:45 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I would personally install all the factory chrome I could afford...including front and rear bumpers. (I think painted bumpers look goofy on a rod) I wouls skip the chromed wheel wells...could you imagine how much windex you'd go through on those suckers?
As for the engine...Chevy orange is the only way to go.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:04 AM   #5
donkey69
JB-80 "Twice as Good"

I agree with Longhorn Man.......Chevy Orange goes with EVERYTHING!
Old 08-27-2004, 02:29 AM   #6
GMCPaul

roj2323 I'll see if we don't have a pic of the front clip I put together in our store for my 67 Panel, I have Chrome inner fenders installed on it, along with our polished Stainless Steel battery tray, polished SS dual electric fan shroud, polished SS radiator top cover, with powder coated near chromed upper & lower radiator retainer brackets and near chromed fender to radiator support braces, hood hinges & springs were also near chromed. I have to disassemble it soon to send the core support off to be powder coated near chrome also. Myself I love the look its giving as do most everyone who walks into the store.
If we have the pic at work on computer I'll have Les post it tommorow.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
roj2323

bump