The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
Ltcrazyx

Question Question about brakes.

I probably already know the answer to this but was just wondering. I am thinking about replacing everything on my truck for the braking systems the line the drums you name it. Do you think think that possibly I could get away with using some of the older parts and keeping them so I save some money? I mean I know this the trucks been sitting sense 71 and hasn't run. So I just naturaully figured I should replace everything on the brake system. Does anyone have any tips of telling how I wouldn't have to replace something and possibly save money? Thanks in advance.
Ltcrazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
solidaxel

I think you will see what needs to be replaced when you disassemble all the parts for inspection and cleaning. Start with all the rubber parts, they for sure will need to be replaced, replace them as a whole part not just the rubber.
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

I agree with solidaxel. The problem is that it's been sitting for over 30 years, and the condition will depend on where it's been parked. If it was out in the pasture in Missouri it's probably rusted away. Inside the barn in Arizona is another story.

Start by expecting to replace the wheel cylinders, brake hoses and rebuilding the master cylinder. You can buy this at your local mom & pop auto parts store. Also replace any springs, they tend to break easily after rusting. Inspect the steel tubing, it can rust away easily. The shoes and drums are what you won't know until you tear down. They can be new and beautiful or the linings can be gone and have rivets worn into the drums, requiring replacement.

This is not an area to skimp on and try to get by. Think about what could happen if your brakes failed, and the father of the 3 kids that were walking across the street was facing you in court. When asked if you had repaired the brakes, you said yes. Then why did you leave a 50 year old rubber hose on, which burst, and you say to save some money. Just something to think about while you work on the truck. It carries a lot of responsibility, and costs money. We can always either work for more money or wait until we have it to drive the old trucks and have fun. Which is what it's all about.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:54 AM   #4
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Finding parts for these old trucks is hard to do around here,I can't even get a new master cylinder for my 49,I'm gonna have to order from LMC or Brothers,or something.

Looks like we're in the same boat.The brakes are the fiirst to go.Don't skimp on money in this area.I mean getting stranded cause it won't start and not being able to stop are two different things
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote