The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
19mike69

getting my Edelbrock to idle right

i just bought a brand new Edelbrock 600 with manual choke and put it on a new performer intake and im having trouble getting it to idle right.I havent messed with the 2 screws on the front,just the idle screw on the linkage.If i get it to where it idles good in park,it wants to die when you put it in gear.IF you get it to where it idles good in gear,it idles way too high in park.Is that a timing issue or do i need to adjust those 2 screws in the front?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Hotrodhenryj
Truck Farmer

Be sure to check the timing first, if its ok, sounds like maybe it is starving for air. Back them out 2 1/2 to three turns and see if this helps. Best way is to use a vacuum guage and get it to the highest vacuum using the screws. If you still cant get it to work I would look for a vacuum leak at the carb somewhere, maybe a port is still open, or the base gasket is leaking.

Last edited by Hotrodhenryj; 08-29-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Hotrodhenryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
19mike69

ok,ummm....my dad let me borrow his vacuum guage but im not sure where to hook it up or how to adjust with it....can you help me out there?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
Rusty Rider

here is what I have been known to do with out timing light on hand and in need to set timing.put on the emergncy brake and shift trans into drive with engine running (grab a friend and have them hold the break for ya) turn the distribuater to the highest point of idleand turn clock wise just a little. if you have trouble with the starter straining to start the engin turn just a little more clock wise till you get it to not die when droped in gear and it starts easy.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:42 PM   #5
cdowns

i'd say if this is your first attempt at installing a manifold that you have a vaccume leak and will need to reinstall the manifold
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
19mike69

well,i messed with the timing a little and that didnt do too much....but then i screwed in the 2 screws on the front until it started running rough(as per the instructions) and then backed them out about 2 turns and it seems to idle fine now.It still doesnt have as much as a lope as it had with the other intake and carb but it is running better.I did notice before i messed with the screws in the front it would shoot a tiny shot of gas in the front barrles about every 4 seconds.That was making it idle funny.Do you think it just wasnt getting enough gas?
Old 08-29-2004, 01:21 PM   #7
walker

Sounds like what was happening was that your idle adjusment screw was too far in, opening the butterflies too much, causing your carb to begin to start using the main fuel circuit instead of just the idle circuit.
To adjust it, set your idle with at the right rpm. Then screw the idle mixture screws in, one at a time until idle quality suffers. Then back it out a half turn. It should be close with that procedure. You can get it a little better with a vaccum gauge.
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #8
Hotrodhenryj
Truck Farmer

What Walker said. Also the timing depending on your evelation shoud be around 8-10. Chevys SB like a lot of timing. With the vacuum guage you need to hook to manifold vacuum and adjust the screws to maintain the highest vacuum. Depending on cam it could be as high as 21, anything above 16 is usually good.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:13 PM   #9
19mike69

by manifold vacuum,where would that be?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:47 PM   #10
tmcgrawlookalike

use the port behind carb on manifold for checking your vacuum reading
tmcgrawlookalike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 04:38 PM   #11
jay6891
Car Knocker

How big is your cam? How tight is your converter. Mine does the same thing, but I only run 12 to 13 inches of vacuum and my verter is to tight. Have been two footin it for 3 years now. Get the idle right for nuetral/park, step on the gas a little and hold the brake when in gear. Not your best fix but poor boys have poor ways. Probably could have bought a new converter with all the brake shoes I have wore out.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote